thirteen: brown eyed girl

"I am not an idiot

"I am not an idiot. I know what people think of me."

MONTANA HAD ALWAYS MADE herself useful one way or another. Today, she made it her mission to help the group look for Sophia, the little girl whom Elaina had grown fondly of so quickly. Part of Montana hoped that they would be able to locate the young girl. It would've given Elaina a reason to smile.

"Elaina okay?" Montana asked Wayne as they walked through the forest.

"She's fine," Wayne said dryly. "She just wants to help out."

"I know," Montana nodded. "You want someone to walk with?"

"Might be helpful if you stay at the back," Wayne stated. "Help Shane keep a look out."

Montana watched as Wayne walked forward with Elaina, putting his arm around her as they went forward. Montana knew that Wayne had not been happy about the secret that she had kept, but she had not even had a single opportunity to even talk to him.

Montana didn't blame the rest of the group for giving her stares, either. She had not done anything to make her place in the group. The truth was, she felt out of place amongst them; like a weed that looked like a flower on its own, but looked like a raggedy old thing beside a bunch of flowers.

It had been her, Wayne, and Elaina for weeks. That was what she had been used to. That was what she was comfortable with. It was what she had known. With Wayne and Elaina, she knew she could keep things under control. She knew she would be able to defend them but, in a big group, all of that changed. Everything became too different.

She had tried in the CDC to be part of the group, but nothing had worked. Her body was present, but the voice in her head was distant. It told her about the world, and what had to be done for Elaina. How everything would always be done to fulfil Luke's promise. Whatever happens to me, protect her. They had been the words he had spoken to her so long ago.

Montana recalled the conversation she had had with Dr Jenner back at the CDC. It was in those moments that she had shared with Jenner that she realised something about the world. Something about the place that they were trying to survive in.

"It's terrible out there," Montana said, warning Jenner. "You've never seen anything like it."

"I can try and imagine," Dr Jenner replied. "There's more than you think, though."

"What do you mean by that?" Montana had asked.

"I didn't tell your group about the people who escaped the CDC and made their own groups," Dr Jenner said, lifting up a glass of his wine.