thirty - six: changes

"Even if we don't have much, there's still something

"Even if we don't have much, there's still something. There's still things we can hold on to, isn't there?"

🏹🏹🏹

DURING THE NIGHT, ELAINA TOSSED AND TURNED. Despite having a comfortable bed, Elaina couldn't seem to sit still. Elaina lifted her head to try and catch who else was up. She was thankful to see Wayne sitting near the door, who was staring attentively at the handle. Elaina got out of bed and sat beside Wayne, who looked down at her.

"What are you doing up?" Wayne asked, concerned. "Are you okay?"

"Uh-huh," Elaina nodded. "Can't get to sleep."

Wayne sighed, turning his head towards the door again. "Not fun."

"No," Elaina replied, shaking her head. "It isn't."

Elaina pulled her knees closer to her chest, staring in the same direction that Wayne was looking in. She looked at his eyes, which looked tired and heavy, and wondered what he was thinking about. It was hard to tell these days. Wayne had always been the type of person who had a readable expression on his face. However, over the past eight months, his face had lost its warmth. Elaina wanted to help, but she didn't want to bring it up incase he wasn't ready to talk. In this moment, however, she realised that, maybe if she showed Wayne she was ready to listen, he'd open up more.

"Wayne?" Elaina said softly. He turned his head. In the dim light, Elaina saw his hair was nearly falling into his eyes.

"Do you need something?" He asked.

"Yeah," Elaina nodded, placing her hand on Wayne's forearm. "I need you to talk."

"About what?" Wayne questioned. "About this place? About Robin and Ameena? They're okay. If you are worried about me hating them, I don't. I'm just protecting you, Elaina. That's all."

"It's a distraction for you," Elaina replied softly.

"What do you mean?"

"Focusing on me, focusing on keeping me safe. You're treating it like it's your only problem because it's better than focusing on all of your other problems."

"That's because you are my only concern, Elaina. We have to deal with things in the present. We can't get caught up with the past. It's going to follow us everywhere. In times like these, you have to do your best to ignore it sometimes."

"You ignore it completely," Elaina remarked. "You don't talk about it all. Luke didn't either. The night when he had to shoot a walker that looked just like our own mother. We never talked about that. He just ignored it. I ignored it too, because I thought he wanted that but that was a mistake, Wayne. I should've talked to him about it. We have to talk about our grief."

"Elaina, when you're an adult, you have to be strong for the people around you—"

"No, Wayne. Bottling up all of your emotions and never talking about them is not strength. It makes you numb. Strength shouldn't come at the price of being numb. I know you want to protect me, but it kills me. It kills me to see you walking around, saying barely anything at all."