seventeen: brainy bow girl

"The past always shapes people's present assumptions of a person

"The past always shapes people's present assumptions of a person."

🏹🏹🏹

THE NEXT FEW DAYS passed by like a snail trail for Elaina. The days, which always seemed to be tainted with a sultry decadence, were prolonged and laborious. All Elaina tended to do was sit around and watch the rest of the camp rally around.

It wasn't the fact that Elaina was lazy; she wanted to help. It was the fact that a few people in the group, especially Wayne, had pointed out just how small and vulnerable she was, much like Carl Grimes who, luckily, was recovering from his gunshot wound.

While sitting under a great willow tree, Elaina soaked in the shade and science from her book. This was how she passed the time. Reading the one thing that she knew she would be able to understand quickly.

"Hello, little lady," a familiar voice said to Elaina.

Elaina looked up to see T-Dog standing near the willow tree with a glass of orange cordial in his hand. His bandage, which he had received the other day, was tightly wrapped around his arm. Elaina closed her book and set it down beside her.

"Did you bring that for me?" Elaina asked him.

"Yes," he nodded, sitting down in the shade with her. "The blonde girl had poured out some for Carl, so I thought I'd bring a glass out for you."

"Thank you, T-Dog," Elaina smiled, taking the cold glass of juice out of his hand. The feeling felt like a fickle memory; a memory Elaina couldn't quite remember until it returned with the power of feeling.

"What are doing sittin' out here?" He asked. "Nice weather, but everyone else is over there."

"Not to be rude or anything, and I'm sorry if it comes across as that, but I don't think I can deal with another one of Jimmy's you seen the hen's today, Laina? Barbara wants to see you!" Elaina sighed. "He tried to make me play with the chickens the other day, you know. The rooster nearly attacked me."

T-Dog let out a round of laughter. "You and Jimmy gonna create your own chicken clubhouse? Maybe we can get you a pair of overalls!"

Elaina shook her head as T-Dog continued to laugh. "Sure. Montana has always wanted to see me in some anyway."

Elaina and T-Dog chortled with laughter. It was nice. Elaina had to admit, most of the adults either ignored her, or gave her too much attention. She knew that, the ones who watched her too much simply had pity for her. Maybe that's what they thought she wanted, but all Elaina wanted was to blend in a bit more with the group like Daryl or Glenn. All anyone wanted to do was treat her like a little China tea set that was ready to be broken. Maybe she wasn't fragile. How could she be in such a fervent world?

"The brown haired dude is looking over at you," T-Dog stated, taking a drink of his own cordial. "He your brother?"

Elaina looked over to see Wayne smiling and waving. Elaina returned the gesture before turning back to T-Dog again. "He basically is, yeah."