forty - six: new members

MONTANA STARED FURIOUSLY AT ELAINA, who looked back at Montana, holding her gaze

MONTANA STARED FURIOUSLY AT ELAINA, who looked back at Montana, holding her gaze. Wayne looked back and forward from Elaina to Montana. Elaina did not care what Montana believed, or if she was judging her right now.

"Who the hell are these people?" Montana demanded. "Don't you think about anything that has happened, Elaina?"

"Why do you think they're behind the bars?" She asked, scowling at her.

"They shouldn't be in the prison at all," Montana snapped.

"They were in danger," Carl commented. "It wasn't all Elaina. Please don't blame her. It was my idea too. They aren't going to do anything when they are behind bars."

"Where did they come from?" Wayne asked.

"They were fighting off walkers," Elaina replied. "We had to help them. We couldn't just leave them there to die."

"You should've came and found me and Wayne. Those halls are rife with walkers. Anything could've happened," Montana said, still looking crossly at Elaina.

"They would've been dead by the time I had went out to the front gates to find you," Elaina replied. "Besides, I wasn't going to leave Carl on his own."

"It's dangerous," Montana reminded her. "One bite and that's it."

"I'm well aware. Wayne and I came across them all the time when we were on the roads. I know how to handle them and I know how to handle my bow. If you could trust me, that would be great."

Montana's glare turned into a frown. Uncharacteristically, she walked out of the C ward, which made Elaina frown too. She looked over at Wayne, who gave her a that-was-mean look. Elaina turned on her heel and headed into her cell. Carl followed.

"It wasn't your fault," Carl said, watching Elaina sit on her bunk. She rubbed her eyes. "You came to help me."

"It's not just that," Elaina admitted. "I just feel... different."

"I feel it too."

Elaina looked up at him. She'd never realised until now that perhaps Carl did understand what she was going through. They were both kids. Behind the dirt on their faces was young skin which did not yet know the harshness of age. It seemed, however, their minds did.

"My dad thinks I'm brave, but I don't feel like it," Carl admitted, taking his hat off and setting it down on the bench. "Everything is changing constantly. You can't keep up with it all."

"You are brave, Carl," Elaina said, looking down at the bracelet Sophia gave her long ago.

"So are you," Carl assured her.

"I think I needed to be when I was out there with Wayne," Elaina confessed. "I just feel like Montana is trying to hold onto me now that I am back and she knows I'm alive but at this point I just feel trapped."