thirty - five: new encounters

"Bad things happen to the people we love, and grief is basically the process of trying to get over that

"Bad things happen to the people we love, and grief is basically the process of trying to get over that."

🏹🏹🏹

ELAINA WATCHED AS DR CAMDEN CLOSED THE DOOR FIRMLY BEHIND HIM before turning to face the group once more. He was a middle aged man, with greying brown hair, hazel eyes, and a well trimmed beard. Elaina only had to take one look at his clean, white coat to understand that the man had never left this building.

"Guests," Dr Camden said with a welcoming smile. He reminded Elaina of the type of person that flashed a toothy smile at a photographer.

"Hello, doctor," Robin nodded. "Pleasure to meet you."

"And you," the doctor replied curtly. "How did you find the place?"

"I'm a scientist," Robin replied. "I knew about this place before the apocalypse."

"What is your name?" he asked. "Perhaps I know you."

"Dr Robin Miller," she said, smiling. "I know of you, Dr Robert Camden. Your work is incredible."

He smiled, looking away, as if he was trying to be humble. "Thank you, Dr Miller. I have heard of you too."

"These are my friends," Robin said, pointing to Ameena, Wayne, and Elaina. "Elaina is quite the brain box. Why don't you show Dr Camden your red book, Elaina?"

"I'd rather have a look around this place first, if that's okay," Elaina replied.

Dr Camden laughed. "She's eager, isn't she!"

Elaina gave him a half-hearted smile before looking at the walls once more. Even though the building was smaller than the CDC, it still felt very spacious. Elaina wondered how many other people were inside.

"So first, we will take your blood tests, and then you will have full access to the vicinity here. Just don't go near the labs. All of the important stuff is in there."

"Do you just let anyone in here?" Wayne questioned.

"Well, only people," Dr Camden laughed.

Wayne glared at him. "They're worse than the walkers these days."

Dr Camden gave Wayne a smile before pointing to a sign on the wall. "This is the outline of the vicinity. There's a canteen, bunk rooms, and a large hall filled with tables, sofas and everything."

"Exits?" Wayne asked.

"The only one that you need to worry about is at the back of the hall, to the left," Dr Camden replied. "It's always locked, to avoid walkers from getting inside."

"Okay, sounds good," Robin nodded.

"Walls are sound proof. Fortunately, you can choose any bunk you would like, as there are only a few other doctors staying in this vicinity. Oh, and one other guest."