eleven: curiosity killed the cat

"my friend, Ela

"my friend, Ela."

🏹🏹🏹

ON THE QUIET ROADS OUTSIDE OF ATLANTA, Elaina thought about the truth that Montana had kept from the group. The CDC, which still lingered in the back of Elaina's mind, had been a dead end. No cures, no answers, just confusion.

Elaina didn't know how to feel about the idea of the mob groups, or the fact that Montana had known something about them. For her entire life, Wayne and Montana had told her about the importance of truth. How one lie can lead to a chain reaction of events. She understood that, yes, maybe people were not in the right mindset to hear about the mob groups the night before the CDC exploded. However, Elaina on the other hand, had been right beside Montana. Coming out of the REC room, she could've told her the truth. The fact that she didn't made annoyance surge through her body, like a bullet going straight to her heart.

"Do you think Fort Benning will be nice?" Sophia asked her mother.

"I think it'll be safe," Carol smiled. "Well protected and everything."

"Maybe there will be some more people there," Sophia replied.

"How do you feel about Fort Benning, Elaina?" Sophia asked, turning around to see her in the very back of the car.

Elaina continued to stare out of the window, completely lost in a daydream.

"Elaina?" Sophia asked, gently touching her arm.

Elaina suddenly woke up, bringing herself back into focus. "Oh sorry, Sophia. What was that?"

"It's okay," Sophia grinned. "How do you feel about Fort Benning?"

"Oh," Elaina paused, realising she hadn't really been thinking about it. "I suppose I feel okay about it? Everything we need is there."

"Fingers crossed there's more children there," Sophia said hopefully. "It would be nice to meet other people our age."

"Just say it, Elaina is too annoying, isn't she?" Wayne said, nudging her.

Sophia giggled. "No! She's the best!"

Elaina smiled, feeling a little better. "Thank you, Sophia. Wayne is the only annoying one here."

"Thanks, Elaina. Straight to the heart," Wayne said, holding his heart. "Back me up here, Lori. Tell me I'm not annoying?"

"Well," Lori said, pausing.