𝟎𝟕𝟐

"...𝙰𝚗𝚍 𝙱𝚊𝚌𝚔"
ᴀᴜᴛʜᴏʀ
𝕤𝕒𝕥𝕦𝕣𝕕𝕒𝕪 𝕒𝕗𝕥𝕖𝕣𝕟𝕠𝕠𝕟

"DID YOU SLEEP OKAY?" Emily asks down the phone.

"Yes, Emily," Noah sighs, answering the question for the millionth time today.

"Then, why're you being grouchy?"

"Because I already told you that I slept fine when you called me this morning," Noah says as she walks down the sidewalk, finding her way through the bustling city. She had gone to the bookstore to hang out with Jess for a few hours.

"I'm just making sure—"

"I know Penelope probably told you about last night and I promise it was nothing," Noah admits and hears Emily sigh.

"You keep having nightmares at Penelope's—"

"And it's not a big deal," Noah groans, "I just get a little nervous, that's all." She adds, knowing Emily will not stop until she gets what she wants.

"Nervous about what?" Emily asks as she looks around the office, noticing she is still alone.

"I don't know, I just get a little shaky."

"Why?"

"Because you're not here," Noah blurts out.

"But, Penelope's there with you—"

"Emily, Penelope hates any sort of violence.  I love her to death, but she's not exactly the best protector."

"Noah, nothing's gonna happen," Emily says, feeling bad that Noah is scared.  If she could be there, she would.

"I know, I just don't like when you're not here, it makes me feel weird."

"I know, sweetie—"

"I just wish you weren't always in danger," Noah admits and it surprises Emily.

"I can protect myself, you know that,"

"You know what I mean, Emily,"

"I trust Penelope more than anyone when we're gone," Emily says, trying to put security in the teen's mind, "I wouldn't leave you with anyone I don't think would protect you by any means."

"I know,"

"So, stop getting in your own head.  And when you don't feel safe, just call me.  Okay?"

"Okay," Noah agrees, but Emily knows the teen is too prideful to do it.  The mother only reminds her to let her know that she will always be there.

"I gotta go, but I love you," Emily says quickly as she notices some officers coming towards the office.

"Love you too," Noah replies and hangs up the phone.  She walks into the FBI building, waving to the secretary at the main desk.  The woman allows Noah to go through, now trusting her after seeing her face every day.

The teen walks onto the elevator, pressing the sixth floor.  Just as the doors are about to close, someone sticks a hand through them.

"Sorry, I'm late for a meeting—" A woman says and looks down at the teen, "Oh, well, hello."

"Good afternoon, Mrs. Strauss," Noah replies with a sweet smile, faking a bit to please the woman of high authority.

"Your mother's on a case," Erin mentions, curious as to why Noah is at the building.

"Yes, I'm staying with Agent Garcia," Noah replies.

"Oh," Erin hums, "Where do you go to school?"

"Levine Prep Academy,"