10. I'm Pulling Away

~Paige

Calum: Hey Paige. Call me back okay?

I stare down at the text Calum sent me not too long after he called me. He's never been the clingy type, but I hate when this side of him comes out.

I share some super sacred secret with him and he gets overprotective and tries not to make it seem like what I told him made things awkward between us.

This is the exact reason why I don't open up much with people. But Calum's not 'people'.

"So tell me whats been on your mind lately?" Michael asks as the two of us continue our walk back to the hotel.

The only thing that's been on my mind for the past few minutes is why Calum suddenly feels the need to care so much.

Do I show Michael the text?

Screw it.

"This." I lift my phone up so Michael can get a clear view of my screen.

"Didn't he just call you?" He looks at me confused.

"Yup." I turn my phone off and slide it back into my pocket.

Michael stops in his tracks causing me to almost trip due to how close together we were standing, "Paige, what happened last night?"

"What do you mean?" I ask knowing exactly what he means.

He gives me a knowing look and grabs my arm to pull me away from the middle of the sidewalk. There are a million good things I could say about these boys, but sometimes their annoying characteristics outweighs them.

I am in no way ungrateful that they care about me this much, but I am fully capable of taking care of myself. I've been doing it my whole life after all.

He lets out a breath of frustration, "Cal doesn't make an effort to care for someone this way unless something concerning happened."

He got the concerning part correct. The only thing he's wrong about is the fact that Calum only makes an effort to care for someone this much if that person is me.

For instance, when we were seventeen I scraped my knee trying to get the perfect shot of the boys behind the scenes during their Heartbreak Girl music video. I was walking backwards and tripped over a dip in the sidewalk.

It scraped my entire knee leaving a scar that is still visible today. We got it cleaned and wrapped in a matter of ten minutes, and I was still fully capable of walking.

Calum refused to leave my side and continue the shoot. He claimed that I was trying to hide the pain for the sake of boys -which he wasn't wrong about- and had me sit out the rest of the making for the video.

As much as I am appreciative of his kindness and care for me, it can get annoying but I refuse to ever admit that out loud.

"Not to mention the fact that he didn't go out and get drinks with us because you are apparently on your period," He says making me cringe at the lie Calum made up. "Which I don't think is true by the way."

Before I met these boys I was never used to the feeling of someone caring about me, which is why I don't know how to process it when Calum or the other three display the bare minimum acts of kindness towards me.

I choose to ignore his previous statements, "Michael did you know that Calum still smokes?" The moment I ask this question his eyes avert anywhere but at me. "Michael?"

"Define knowing," He says still avoiding eye contact and fidgeting nervously. "Because being aware and knowing are two totally different things."

"You're kidding right?" I say shocked beyond belief. Every muscle in my body is yelling at me to start walking away, but my brain tells me to stay where I am.