38. Moving Along

~Paige

"An acoustic show?" Michael repeats as if he hadn't heard me correctly.

"Yes, I think it's the perfect compromise for the bands situation!" I encourage my brilliant idea.

I had gathered all the boys—and Victoria for backup—into the dressing room to try and convince them into doing something they hadn't even considered, which was doing an acoustic show in a venue that fills ten thousand.

It sounds crazy and we only have three hours till show time, but I really think it could work.

"I don't know Paige, we don't really have enough time to prepare." Ashton shrugs his shoulders, still in the slump he'd been in since the accident.

I shake my head, pacing across the black leather couch that the four boys sit on together. "I disagree. I've seen you guys write a song in less than an hour before."

I stop my pacing and look back at them, "All I'm asking is that you at least try and take songs you already have and turn them into an acoustic setlist?"

The boys look to one another with all sorts of emotions flowing throughout the room. I understand that this was not the intention they had for performing their show today, but it's either this or nothing.

If there's one thing that never fails to bring the boys happiness, it's the music they play.

"I'm in." Calum is the first to speak up, making me sigh in relief.

The other boys look to Calum worried, but he stands his ground by giving me a small reassuring smile.

"Michael, what do you think?" I ask, starting to worry that this plan will not be followed through with.

Michael runs his fingers through his hair a few times, thinking everything through before giving me his answer.

"It could work." He shrugs, his lips turning into a nonchalant frown.

"Thank you Michael." I say, relief finally starting to overtake my stress.

Vanessa sat in a chair placed in front of one of the mirrors, spectating the entire conversation in case I needed a much stronger voice to help out.

She finally puts that overpowering voice to use when she takes notice that the youngest member of the band has yet to give me an answer, "Lucas Hemmings!" She speaks up, causing Luke to jump slightly in his seat and look up at her. "If you don't give Paige an answer right now, I'm sleeping in a different hotel room tonight."

Luke quickly turns to look at me, eyes widened in stress for a moment to think this through. "I just don't think Cal should be performing at all." He finally says, voice quiet as he realizes if he says one wrong word Vanessa's out of the hotel room.

Understanding where Luke's coming from, I still disagree. I wouldn't have suggested an idea knowing that Calum couldn't handle it.

"Calum can handle an acoustic show." I state simply.

My boy looks up at me with a smirk tugging at his lips as he mouths a "thank you" to me.

I smile back at him, hoping he knows just how much on his side I am. I would do anything for my perfect boy.

Luke turns to look at Calum with nothing but pure love and worry for his best friend in his intentions, "You sure you can do it Cal?"

The much more enthusiastic boy smiles back at his best friend, "My superhero nickname is Cal-Pal for fucks sake! I can handle anything."

All of us laugh at the memory of the boys filming the music video for Don't Stop and how Calum got the worst costume color combination out of all of them, lime green and yellow. If he could handle that, he really can handle anything.