44. Ghost Of You: Part 2

Calum's

The stage has always been my favorite place, and yet as I see Paige being carried out by security, I would never step foot on a stage again if it meant she would be okay.

In an instant, I remove the bass from around my neck and carelessly drop it on the stage. I run backstage to find Paige, my ears are ringing as I hear the boys stop playing and quickly apologize to the fans before running off as well.

My heart beats faster than it ever has as I mindlessly push through people to get to her. My breathing picks up even faster as the anxiety I'm feeling catches up to me. What if I'm too late? What if this is last time I'll ever see her?

The closer I get to the lounge area, the more I hear yelling and people running around to grab things in a panic. Some are yelling to get her water, others say to call an ambulance, but in the midst of all the chaos I hear Vanessa shout, "Where is Calum?!"

Following the sound of her voice, I find her crouched down beside Paige who is passed out on the couch. I run over to the couch, kneeling down beside her and silently praying to myself that she's still breathing.

"What happened?! I thought she was fine, she promised me that she was fine!" I breathlessly ask Vanessa, fighting the urge to lose all self control.

"I-I don't know!" She stutters, her lip quivering as she also fights the urge to cry. "One minute she was taking pictures then the next she was passed out on the ground."

With a shaky hand, I reach out to run my fingers through her hair and gently press my ear to her chest. I close my eyes hoping to hear what I want despite how obnoxiously loud it is backstage.

I close my eyes, the few, long seconds that it took causing me to hold my breath in fear that my worst nightmare came true. Finally, I hear it. Her heartbeat. She's still alive.

"I hear a heartbeat!" I announce relieved, just as the boys enter the backstage area, out of breath as well. They crowd around the couch, encompassing Paige's appearance. "I heard a heartbeat. She's still alive, but someone needs to call an ambulance, now!"

"I'm on it!" Ashton says, pulling out his phone and quickly dialing 911.

"You're gonna be okay, baby girl." My voice quivers as I look down at her. "You're not leaving me, not yet." I've never seen her face so pale and lifeless before. The hint of a blush that she's always had on her cheeks is distinguished by the color that has been drained from her beautiful face.

I take her limp hand in mine and shut my eyes to prevent any tears from slipping. I need to stay strong for her. This is not the end for us.

Every few seconds I try shaking Paige awake to no avail and can feel my friends regretful gaze on the two of us. Nonetheless, I won't give up hope and continue shaking and encouraging her to wake up until the ambulance arrives.

Everything after that is a blur.

It all felt so fast, yet so painfully slow.

My heart clenched in my chest as I watched the love of my life being carried up onto a stretcher and hooked onto varies different types of life supports. An oxygen mask was placed over her mouth and nose and an EKG monitor was now tracking her heartbeats, reminding me that she's still alive.

It all feels so surreal, like I almost don't believe this is actually happening.

The five of us follow the paramedics outside the venue until they roll Paige inside of the ambulance and shut the doors.

"Ashton, we need to get to the hospital now!" I tell him still panicking out of my mind. It's times like this where I need Paige to help me calm my anxiety and remind me that everything is going to be okay. Without her I don't know how to do anything right.