26. I Can Take You Out

~Paige

Calum and I didn't exactly go out with the group. We got the going out part correct, just not with our friends.

After getting freshened up and a bit more party ready, they decided on going to a nearby club which is not the most ideal first night as a couple for Calum and I. We kept our mouths shut and complied with the others, but what they didn't know is that in the midst of them mindlessly dancing, the two of us would slip out of the place and head anywhere the streets would take us.

His arm is around my shoulders, pulling me to his side while my hand is lifted up to be intertwined with his. The two of us laugh as we practically run down the street and far away from the stuffy club filled with an inordinate amount of people.

"Calum we should stop," I laugh out of breath, slowing my stride. "I'm in heels."

He looks down at me, not nearly out of breath as I am. In fact, he is quite practically glowing with the way the city lights create a shimmer on his face and the wind slightly blowing his hair away from his forehead.

My stomach flutters with butterflies and I suddenly feel myself growing nervous around him, something that never happens.

"Guess I'll just have to carry you then." He shrugs before bending down on his knees, signaling with his hands for me to jump on his back.

"Are you sure?" I ask. The black button up he's wearing is so nice I don't want to risk wrinkling the material.

"Just get on Paige," He says pulling me from the back of my legs causing me to fall on top of him. He quickly catches me and pulls me further up so that I am comfortable on his back. "That wasn't so hard now was it?" He teases and begins walking down the street.

I hang my arms on his shoulders and cross my ankles over the front of him, because even though his grip on the back of my legs is firm reminding me that he would never let me fall, I still feel myself secure around him.

"Shut it, you." I say, resting my chin on his shoulder. The street is mostly empty and echoes with each step Calum takes. I love the fact that my job has allowed me to not only make relationships that will last a lifetime, but also the opportunity to travel the world.

It makes me that much more thankful for a walk down the streets of Chicago. I take in the city lights and the endless amount of stars placed perfectly in the night sky.

There is so much to take in and look at, and yet all I can focus on is the beautiful boy carrying me on his back as we venture through the city.

Despite how close together we are, I'm still cold. I bring myself closer to Calum in search of any form of warmth. "You alright?" He asks.

"It's really cold out here." I say through chattering teeth.

All together his walking takes a pause, "Wanna go back? I'm sure its much warmer at the club than it is out here—"

"No—I'm fine. Let's just keep going." He turns his head to look at me, reading my expression for any hesitation. I kiss his cheek and smile at him. This makes him believe me and continue walking.

I sigh in relief and settle my chin comfortably on his shoulder again. I can tell that he has good intentions with wherever he's taking us and I wouldn't wanna ruin his plans because I'm cold, this isn't something I can't handle.

That's another thing I'm thankful for, the way Calum and I are together. Even before we started dating we have always been able to read each other like a book. I'm not sure how it's possible that another human being who knows me as well as I know myself is in my life, but here we are.