37. Oh, But I'm giving In

~Calum

The band is back and better than ever. Or at least I think we are.

We're finally able to play the New York shows that were postponed due to the car accident, which should be exciting except everyone else doesn't seem to think so.

"I just don't think we should be playing a show this soon after the accident." Luke says, red solo cup filled with tequila in hand.

"Why the fuck not?" I say, readjusting myself on the leather couch that was placed in the dressing room.

Without saying anything Luke begins walking out of the dressing room, "Luke?" I call after him. "Luke, what the hell mate!" Confused and slightly annoyed from not receiving yet another response from my best friend, I get up and begin walking after him.

It takes a second to push myself up and off of the couch, but I choose to ignore the feeling of pain shooting through almost every muscle in my body and continue walking through the backstage area.

Luke doesn't so much as glance back at me as he continues walking, clearly determined on leading me somewhere. "Where the fuck are you going Luke?" I ask, trying my hardest to distinguish how out of breath I am.

He continues and eventually we're walking up the stairs that lead us on stage, but he doesn't stop there. "Soundcheck doesn't start for another thirty minutes?"

"That's not why we're here." He says, finally turning around and speaking to me. I almost roll my eyes from how annoyed I am.

"Then why are we?" I ask, placing my hands on my hips to help get my breathing under control.

Instead of answering me yet again, Luke walks across the entire catwalk before bending down and sitting on the edge, long legs dangling and all. "Come sit beside me." He says patting the space next to him.

I huff out a breath of frustration but comply nonetheless. I walk down the catwalk as fast as my aching body would allow and slowly but eventually make it into a sitting position beside him, mimicking the way his legs are dangling off the catwalk.

"You see how many seats are in this venue waiting to be filled, Cal?" He asks me, looking out into the large venue we're supposed to play in a few hours.

I shrug my shoulders, "A lot?"

"Ten thousand." He states, turning to look back at me. "That's a lot of fucking people." His blue eyes widen as he tries to get his point across.

I furrow my eyebrows, not understanding where he's getting at with this. "I don't understand what you're trying to say."

He takes a sip of his tequila, settling back into the view we have of the empty venue. "What I'm trying to say, is that I'm not so sure you're ready or even should be playing a show this big just yet."

I stretch my arms out and rest my hands on the stage to lean back on them, realizing that he brought me out here to give me a visual of what I'm about to put myself through. "We've played bigger venues than this."

He shakes his head, "Cal, your body is supposed to be healing. I can tell you're not ready to be back and that's okay."

"Luke I'm fine," I give him a small smile. "I'll just take it easy. Not jump around or run across the stage like I normally do."

"And when the fans pick up on your change in energy, then what?" He asks, making a fair point.

I look out into the venue all while making sure to take in the heaviness of it all, and even though I wouldn't admit this out loud, the size of a venue this large hasn't felt intimidating to me in a long time.