1.1.3

The Vanishing of Will Byers

Benji

"Hey, Benji do you copy?"

The strawberry blonde boy hears his walkie-talkie crackle from besides his bed.

"Yeah it's Benji...over" he responds to Mike who's voice is crackled slightly from the distance.

"Are you able to sneak out tonight? Over."

Furrowing his eyebrows, Benji responds, "Why? What are we doing? Over."

"We're meeting at Mirkwood, we're going to find Will. Over."

His eyes widen, "Okay, I'll meet you in ten..over."

He jumps out of bed and pulls on his converse shoes and a jacket but before he leaves, a photograph catches his attention. He steps towards it and picks up the frame, smiling softly at the photo.

It's a photo of Benji and Missy at around the age of 8 - she's on his back having a piggyback ride, kissing his cheek as he laughs away. Her hairs up in pigtails with large bows which makes him laugh slightly, he remembers her pigtail phase.

As he sets it down, another photo draws his eye - one of the boys and Missy. They're sat in Castle Byers, a den in the woods, and are all laughing and joking. Missy has her arm around Will and her legs draped across Benji's lap.

'She cared once,' the boy thinks while placing down the second picture, 'Maybe she still does.'

And with that thought at the front of his mind, Benji grabs the upstairs landline and dials her number. It rings a few times before someone answers, the voice of a little girl, "Hello?"

"Hey, Lottie. It's Benji,"

"Hey, Benji!" The girl greets him gleefully before he continues.

"Is, erm, is Missy there?" He hesitantly inquires, and the girl let's put a soft giggle,

"Why? Is she your girlfriend?"

Benji stutters, slightly unsure of what to say, and blushes profusely. Luckily though, before he can embarrass himself in front of an eight year old another voice can be heard in the background.

"Lottie, what are you doing? I told you not to answer the phone to anybody!"

A rustling of movement can be heard as Benji waits anxiously for the girl to address the phone call, "Hello?" She finally answered.