2.3.3

The Pollywog

Benji

"His name is D'Artagnan,"

Benji peers into the box, Missy's grip tightening on his hand as they rest their eyes onto the creature. It's green and slimy and makes Benji flinch slightly when it hisses. Dustin takes the creature out carefully and Benji notices a grimace appear on Missy's face,

"What the fuck is it?"

Dustin ignores the girl and turns to the newer girl in the group, "Cute, right?"

"D'Artagnan?" Mike asks with a perplexed look covering his features.

"Dart for short."

Max shares a look with Benji and Missy before she speaks up, "And he was in you're trash?"

"Foraging for food...you wanna hold him?"

Almost immediately, the red head shakes her head with a short 'no' which makes Missy snicker.

Ignoring the rejection, Dustin places Dart into her hands and a disgusted look appears onto her face as she passes him to Lucas.

"Ugh, he's like a living booger!" Lucas then passes the creature to Will, who grimaces before passing him to Missy.

Upon landing on her palm, the creature lets out a loud, pained squeal and all but jumps into Benji's. The groups eyes widen at Dart's reaction and the strawberry haired boy passes it off to Mike.

The boy with the black bowl cut holds him up slightly before breaking the silence, "What is he?"

"My question exactly."

Benji rests his head onto Missy's, wrapping his arms around her from behind, as Dustin explains his research, "At first, I thought he was some type of Pollywog-"

"Pollywog?" The two girls ask in unison before sharing a smile.

"It's another word for tadpole- like the ones we rescued from that polluted river in spring." Benji explains to his best friend and she tilts her head back to smile at the boy - him finding her action extremely cute.

"A tadpole is the larval stage of a toad." Dustin explains to Max and she scoffs slightly,
"I know what a tadpole is."

"Alright, then you know that most tadpoles are aquatic, right? Well, Dart, he isn't..he doesn't need water."