3.4.3

The Sauna Test

Missy

The teens are quick to lock Billy into the sauna and chain the doors shut. Furrowing their brows when they see the change of expression when the older boy sees Missy's injured state.

"What have you done?" He asks, pushing the bloody hair out of the cut on her forehead.

Max and Benji share a confused look but flinch when Billy begins to throw himself against the door in an attempt to escape.

He only stops when he catches sight of his step sister, "Max."

Max pauses for a minute before nodding, "Do it."

Will rushes over to the thermostat and turns it all the way up before heading back over to his friends.

As the temperature begins to rise, Missy begins to stir and Billy's anger grows.

"Max!" He slams his hands against the door, "Let me out of here! Let me out!" He pants and hears Missy beginning to sit up from her place on the floor, "You kids think this is funny? You kids think this is some kind of sick prank, huh?" He spits at the window, "You little shits think this is funny? What is this? Open the door." They all flinch when he kicks the door, "Open the door! Open the door! Open the goddamn door!"

"We're at 220." Will tells the party as Billy's face disappears from the window, but they hear his sobbing from inside.

"It's not my fault, it's not my fault!" He repeats, "It's not my fault, Max. I promise you, it's not my fault."

"What's not your fault Billy?"

"I've done things, Max. Really bad things - and your friend..." he trails off as he looks at Missy who pretends to still be unconscious, "She helped me...I didn't mean to! He made us do it."

"Who made you do it?"

"I don't know," he shakes his head, "Its like a shadow. Like a giant shadow. Please, Max."

"What did he make you do?"

"It's not my fault!" He cries, "Please believe me, Max, it's not my fault. I tried to stop him, okay, I did! Please believe me, Max."

"Billy, it's gonna be okay." Max places her hand on the window of the door, focussing so much on Billy that she doesn't see Missy grabbing a piece of the broken tile.

"I feel him." Will's voice cracks and Benji's eyes wander over to Max,

"Max, get away from the door."

"What?"

Mike catches onto Benji's point and yells, "Get away from the door!"

Expecting Billy to be the one to attack first, the party are shocked when it's a perfectly manicured hand that smashes the window.