1.4.1

The Body

Benji

The atmosphere surrounding the Nelson boy had been dismal, to say the least, after the discovery of Will Byers' death last night.

His sister has been checking on him whenever she could hear crying from his room, which has been a lot. And when it was announced on the news, his parents had found the boy fast asleep cuddled up with Lexie, tears staining his cheeks and his eyes puffy.

Benji is distraught and everyone knows it.

His walkie talkie crackles from the other side of the room an Mikes voice can been heard "Benji, do you copy? Over"

Knowing that Mike won't stop, Benji answers his walkie - his voice croaky from crying and fresh tears threatening to spill, "Mike, what is it? Over."

"How fast can you get to my house? Over."

"Not today, Mike. I just want to be alone. Over."

"It's about Will! Please just come over soon - and bring Missy. Over."

"Okay fine, but, uh Missy's at school so it will just be me. Over."

"Why is she at school? She was devastated, she should be allowed to grieve! Over."

"You know Missy, she likes to pretend she has no feelings and hope they go away. Over and out." He turns his walkie off, quickly changes and heads to Mike's, bracing himself for whatever is about to happen.
-
-
The boys are gathered in Mike's basement while El attempts to get Will onto the walkie.

"We keep losing the signal, but you heard it, right?" Mike asks the boys optimistically.

"Yeah, I heard a baby." Lucas states bluntly.

"C'mon Mike, we're not in the mood for this." Benji sighs rubbing a hand down his face.

"What?"

"Mike, you obviously tapped into a baby monitor. It's probably the Blackburns next door." Lucas explains.

"Uh, did that sound like a baby to you? That was Will."

"Mike-"

"Lucas, you don't understand. He spoke last night - words! He was singing that weird song he loves. Even El heard him." Mike gestures to the girl.

"Oh, we'll I guess if the weirdo heard him-"

"Are you sure you're on the right channel?" Dustin interjects.