2.5.2

DigDug

Missy

Missy cycles up to the Byers' house, only to see everyone rushing to get into the car. "What's going on? Where are you going?"

"Missy!" Joyce exclaims in shock before sighing and hurrying the girl into the car, "Just get in, we'll explain on the way."

Missy sits in between Mike and Will in the backseat of the car, Joyce and her boyfriend Bob getting into the front.

"What's happening?" Missy asks Mike and he quickly explains that Will is linked to a monster in the upside down and he knows that Hopper is somehow in danger.

"There's nothing, there's nothing here," the boy exclaims as he looks out the car windows.

"Are we close?" Joyce asks Bob, who is looking at the map.

"We're in the vicinity."

"What's that mean? The vicinity?" Joyce panics as Mike, Will and Missy exchange looks.

"It means we're close... I don't know - it's not precise."

"But we did all that work!"

"I told you, the scale ratio is not exactly one to one, we need to take-"

"Turn right!" Will blurts out, making Missy jump slightly.

"What?"

"I saw him."

"Where?" Joyce looks around and Missy furrows her brows in confusion.

"Not here - in my now-memories."

"In your what?" Bob questions at the same time that Missy mutters, "Now-memories..?"

"Turn right!"

Joyce makes a sharp turn and the car runs through the pumpkin field sign, everyone screaming as it pulls up right behind Hopper's truck.

"Are you okay?" Joyce leans back to look at the kids who all nod in response.

"Superspy.." Mike states and Missy sends him a perplexed look.

"What's Jim doing here?" Bob inquires, seemingly even more out of the loop than Missy.

"Kids, I need you to stay here."

"No, Mom, Mom, Mom," Will argues, "It's not safe!"

"That's why I need you to stay here! Stay here!" Joyce instructs and she and Bob leave the car.

"Where's Benji?" Mike asks the girl, "We tried to call him too, but he didn't pick up."

"I think he's doing something with Lexie." Missy replies coldly, still a little mad about what happened the other day.

"Look," Mike sighs as he glances at Will and back to Missy, "I'm sorry about the other day, okay? I didn't mean it and I didn't think-"

"Exactly! You don't think, you never think and then you say things and you act impulsively and it hurts people."

"I didn't mean to hurt you feelings, Missy."

Surprising Mike and Will, Missy snorts at his words, "You didn't think I was talking about me, did you?"

Mike stares at her in confusion before she speaks again, "God, no. I don't need you or anyone else to validate me, Mike - I'm strong and independent and I couldn't care less what you think of me. I was talking about Benji, he hates conflict and by you acting impulsively and talking without thinking it only creates more."

"I never mean to hurt him, Missy."

"I know you don't," the Kennedy girl sighs, "But I care about that boy more than I care about myself, I hate seeing him upset."

The car is silent for a moment before Mike speaks up, a surprisingly gentle tone to his voice, "Do you love him?"

"What?"

"Benji...do you love him?"

Missy takes a deep breath before looking between the two boys, "I think that love is a very strong word...one that I'm not so sure that I'm ready to use yet, or that I know enough about to be able to say it to someone else - it definitely shouldn't just be thrown around by people our age. But, I also know that I care a whole bunch about him and I have no idea what I would do if anything were to happen to him."

After a few minutes of comfortable silence, Missy breathes out a laugh, "If either of you mutter a word of this to anyone, I will beat your ass."

"It's okay to be vulnerable sometimes, Missy." Mike smiles at the girl and Will nods in agreement,
"We're here for you - but we won't say anything, promise."
-
-
After a while, they begin to get worried for Joyce and Bob as they have yet to return to the car. "Come on," Missy sighs, "Let's go check on them."
The three get out of the car and take a look around.

"You see anything?" Mike asks Will, "I mean, in your now-memories?"
The boy in question just shakes his head.

All of a sudden, three vans from Hawkins Lab pull up into the field, "Well, that can't be good." Missy mumbles.
Men dressed in white hazmat suits piles out of the vans and entering the tunnels.

Suddenly, Will falls to the floor shaking, as if he's having a seizure.

"Will, are you okay?" Mike exclaims as Missy panics slightly.

"Will? What's happening to him?!" She yells, the wind picking up slightly.

"I don't know! Will?" Mike yells back as he tries to tend to his friend.

Wind blows Missy's hair into her face as tears begin to run down her cheeks, panic flooding her body - the more frightened she becomes, the harder the wind blows.

Will flips onto his back and a high pitch scream comes from the back of his throat. As he shakes furiously.

Missy's hand finds Mike's as she attempts to find some sort of comfort. Her hair blows with the wind as he pulls her into his chest tightly.

"You're okay, Miss." the boy consoles her, "Everything will be okay. The doctors will help him."