2.8.3

The Mind Flayer

Missy

Missy storms into the bathroom and grips the sink with both hands, looking at her reflection in the mirror. An unfamiliar girl looks back at her, the roaring fire that was once in her icy glare has been replaced with a dull flame that is barely even sparking anymore. Missy watches through cloudy vision as the broken girl's eyes well up with tears.

Scoffing at her reflection, Missy furiously wipes away her tears and takes a seat on the closed toilet seat. She screams internally at how pathetic she feels, at how easy it was for a monster to take away her fire - at how easy it was for a monster to make her feel helpless.

Over the last year, she had heard the rumours around school. That the top bitch Missy Kennedy had gone soft. That she's a loser that hangs around with nerds instead of hanging with Stacey and her minions. Missy had pretended all year that the rumours hadn't gotten to her - that they didn't hurt...but they did.

A knock on the door catches the girl's attention and she rolls her eyes, "Go away."

Instead of leaving, the person knocks again and Missy huffs in annoyance, "I said go away!"

Tony pops his head into the bathroom and Missy scoffs, "Ever heard of privacy?"

Tony ignores his daughter's attitude and enters the bathroom, closing the door behind him. He takes a seat opposite is daughter, on the edge of the bathtub before speaking hesitantly, "Talk to me, Missy."

"There's nothing to talk about." Missy shrugs, her eyes trained anywhere but her father's face as she wipes away the lone tear on her cheek.

Tony sighs, "What happened in there?" he places a hand on her knee and takes it away when she flinches.

"I don't want to talk about it." Missy whispers, the images of the burning man going through her mind, as well as the dead body that she fell on top of and the demogorgon's mouth in her face.

"That's okay." Tony replies, "But know that I'm here for you, Miss. Whenever you do want to talk."

"How do I know that?" Missy asks, so quietly that he barely heard her.

"What do you mean?" He furrows his brows and another tear falls down her cheek.

"For all I know, you could just leave again," Missy mutters bitterly, "Like you did before."

"Missy," Tony kneels in front of his daughter and places a hand on her shoulder, "I'm never going anywhere again - I promise you that."