Breathe

(Y/N POV)

The last thing I remember is be siren and driving away in the ambulance, watching through the tiny window of the door, the fire grow and grow.

Then, I woke up with doctors and nurses looking down and me, and a overwhelming pain in my chest. I could hardly make out anything they were saying. I was confused and in possibly the worst pain I had ever been in. 

They sat me up and I got a chance to look around the room. It was clearly still night, but my vision was still blurred. 

"Can you tell how many fingers I am holding up?" a doctor asked into my ear.

"Um.. yeah.. two"

They seemed to be running tests, and I was trying my best to breathe without it causing too much pain. They laid me back down and I fell back to sleep.

I woke back up to a more calm setting, still feeling a bit of panic because I barley even remembered waking up the first time. I opened my eyes to see Jay looking over me, looking worried. 

"Thank god you're up. Are you okay?"

I blinked for a moment trying to adjust to the lighting.

"I don't know.. I don't even know what's going on.."

His face dropped.

"Do you remember what happened..?"

"So it wasn't a dream.. it really happened."

Jay nodded and looked sad. 

"What are you going to do?"

"We can talk about that later.. let me go get a nurse and let them know you're up"

He left the room and soon came back with a nurse. She had long brown hair and nice blue eyes. She looked very kind.

"How did you rest Y/N?" she asked with a bright smile.

"Um.. good.. I am just really confused."

The nurse looked over to Jay and kindly asked him to leave so she could talk to me alone. He nodded and left the room, giving me a smile. 

"So.. Y/N, there was a fire, and from what your little friend told us, you went into the fire and were exposed for a long period of time, that's brave of you, but very bad for your lungs. We have done testing, but we want to do more. For now we believe you just have respiratory irritation, but inhaling that much smoke can cause heart disease or other issues, so we want to keep you here until we know you're all healthy"

"Heart disease..?"

"It's unlikely in your case, don't worry. We just want to be 100% sure. Is that okay with you?"

I nodded, but it all honesty I felt scared. 

"May I ask you some for information about what happened to get a better understanding of your smoke exposure?"

"Yeah.. yeah.. that's fine."

"Okay, how long do you believe you were in fire?"

"Um.. I don't know?"

"Okay let me rephrase, and if you don't remember it's okay. Do you believe you were there for more or less than 10 minutes"

"More.. more for sure."

"20?"

"Maybe more.."

"25?"

"Yeah.. probably 25."