The Revelation Pt. 2

"We've been out all night. No sign of them," Korra sighed, stopping Naga, who was panting with Pichi curled up on the back of her neck. 

"We've gotta keep looking. But where?" Mako questioned, visibly tired with Pabu asleep on his shoulder

They both turned in another direction, eyes closed in disappointment. Suddenly, Korra erected herself, and her eyes sprung open.

" I have an idea!"

With a determined look on her face, she pulled Naga's reins, and they started moving again. Soon they were in Republic City Park, which was covered in the morning fog.

They pulled up to a fountain, allowing Naga to get a drink. Pabu climbed over Pichi to the top of Naga's head and took a drink, too.

"The first day I got into town, I ran into an Equalist protester over there" Korra pointed to a spot by the grass.

"And you think they'll know where Bolin and Elira are?" Mako asked

"It's our only lead right now," Korra replied, slightly disappointed

A little while later, Korra and Mako sat with their backs against Naga's side. The polar bear dog resting underneath a tree at the side of the fountain with Pabu and Pichi asleep atop her saddle. Mako had his eyes closed, and arms crossed while Korra was looking around, slightly uncomfortable.

Eventually, she turned to Mako." So...why are Bolin and El running around with the Triple Threat Triad, anyway?"

"Well, Bolin and I ... we used to do some work for them back in the day" Mako replied, looking uncomfortable. "El knew but didn't particularly agree."

"What? Wha- Are you some kind of criminal?" Korra accused

Mako glared at her, defensive and angry "No! You don't know what you're talking about. I just ran numbers for them and stuff. We were orphans out on the street; I did what I had to do to survive and protect my little brother. And although she didn't like it or agree with what we were doing, El at least understood why we were doing it."

"I'm sorry. It must have been really hard" Korra said sympathetically"... Can I ask what happened to your parents?"

"They were mugged by a firebender. He cut them down right in front of me. I was eight." Mako explained with a sigh

"Mako ..." Korra muttered as the firebender pulled his scarf over his mouth, consolingly

"Bolin's the only family I have left. If anything happened to him ..."

"...And El?" Korra asked

"Bo and I met her as kids. We'd been caught trying to steal some food from a store when she spotted us and helped us get away. She helped us out when no one else would," He explained 

"And you've been best friends ever since." 

"Yeah, we have", Mako smiled "She's like a little sister to me. So I try and look out for her as best as I can. Like being the responsible one so she can have a little fun and mess around. Not having to worry about her dad or all the expectations put on her." 

"You're a good friend, Mako" Korra smiled softly. 

She had noticed Elira always seemed a lot more relaxed when she was around the two brothers. Yes, she acted carefree around her family, which of course was the reason for most of the arguments between her and her father. But with Mako and Bolin, she would laugh a lot harder, smile a lot wider...

 She was more...herself.

*

Elira groaned and winced as she finally woke up, having been leaning against a wall. Her head was pounding, and she felt weak, almost...numb.