A New Spiritual Age

At the ancient airbender meditation circle near the Eastern Air Temple, Tenzin and his family were sitting around the campfire, waiting for Korra and Jinora to return from the spirit world. 

"I can't believe my little girl had to guide Korra into the Spirit World instead of me. If anything happens to her I won't be able to forgive myself." Tenzin placed his face in his hands. 

"She's very smart, she obviously has a strong connection to the spirits and she said that El warned her about what was in there. She'll be fine." Kya placed a reassuring hand on his shoulder 

"Yeah, Dad went all the time!" Bumi added 

"They won't have their bending in there. They'll be defenceless!" 

"Ahem? Excuse me? But I've never had bending, and I don't think I'd call myself defenceless." Bumi frowned, offended 

"Of course, you aren't, because you have your ... um ..." Tenzin glanced at Kya and Ursa for help

"Positive attitude?" Ursa gave a cheesy grin 

"I would've said acute intellect and cat-like reflexes, but whatever." Bumi waved his hand 

"Why don't you three get some sleep. I'll take the first watch." Tenzin suggested 

Ursa placed a hand on her brother's shoulder "Wake us up if you need some company." 

"Or if any interesting spirit-y stuff happens, like their bodies start floating around and you need someone to help you grab them before they fly off!" Bumi smirked 

"Bumi!" Kya and Ursa scolded him 

"I'm just saying, we're here if you need us." 

"I know you are. Thank you" Tenzin smiled before getting up

He made his way over to his daughter, kneeling beside her and gently placing a hand on her head.

"Please come back soon" He muttered 

*

The next morning, El was eating breakfast in the dining hall along with Zira, who had arrived late the night before. She'd told her everything that had happened. Bolin ditching her for Ginger, the theory that Varrick was the one behind the attacks on Asami's shipments and Mako being arrested for it. 

 "I've known Mako practically my whole life, Gran-Gran, he wouldn't do something like this" El shook her head, playing with her food "He thinks Varrick is the one behind it all" 

"And what do you think?" Zira asked, taking a sip of tea. 

 "I was helping Mako last night before he was arrested because I guess I was hoping that maybe, just maybe, he was wrong about Varrick. But now...I don't know" The airbender sighed

Pichi chittered, looking up at her owner from where she was lying beside her. 

"If Mako's right, Varrick must have known he was onto him" El theorised, scratching behind Pichi's ear "He could've planted that evidence in the apartment to get Mako arrested and out of the way" 

"Now, Elira, don't go jumping to conclusions. It may be Varrick, or it may not. You can't go accusing people before you have all the evidence" Zira advised "It can get you into a lot of trouble" 

"Okay, but what am I supposed to do?" El asked "Just pretend everything is normal" 

"Precisely. If Varrick is behind these attacks, you can't let him know you're onto him or you'll be sharing a jail cell with Mako" Zira warned "Keep quiet until you find solid evidence, then go straight to Lin and let her do the rest. Now eat your breakfast before it goes cold"