Light in the Dark

In Republic City, the sky had been illuminated by spirit lights. Police airships and United Forces battleships had been deployed to protect the mainland, while on Air Temple Island, on the balcony Pema and her three younger children stood watching. 

"Oooo ... Pretty." Ikki smiled at the sky 

 The sky suddenly lit up, something shooting through the air before Unavaatu plunged into the sea. The wave he created pushing back one of the battleships.

"It's time to take back the physical world." He declared standing up 

As he began approaching the mainland, the United Forces battleships attacked Unavaatu with large fire blasts, but the Dark Avatar continued walking, unharmed and unfazed by the blasts. 

 He retaliated with a large waterbending wall to stop the blasts, before sending the wave toward the battleships, scattering them

"Monster attack!" Meelo yelled as Unavaatu walked up to Aang's Memorial Island.

The Dark Avatar grabbed a hold of Aang's statue, wrapping his tendrils around it before tipping it over into the sea where it slowly sank into the water. 

*

"They're over here!" Tenzin yelled, kneeling beside Elira as the rest of his family ran over to tend to Korra and the boys. 

"Please, wake up" He muttered, picking up his unconscious daughter, and looking down at her in worry. 

"They're gonna be all right. But I need to get them into some spirit water. Right away." Kya explained and Bumi hauled the brothers over his shoulders as Ursa picked up Korra. 

Heading back into the Spirit World, Tenzin gently lowered Elira into a stream of spirit water as Bumi and Ursa did the same for Korra and the boys. 

Once Tenzin was out of the water, Kya began to heal the fallen kids, a stream of illuminated water passing over them, mirroring Kya's movements

After a few moments, the four's eyes snapped open and each shot up gasping for air. 

"Thank goodness you're all okay." Tenzin sighed in relief 

"Dad!" Elira shot to her feet, almost falling over but her father quickly caught her "Where's Jinora? Did you find her? Is she okay?" 

"I was able to rescue her soul, but she wasn't ready to return to her body yet" Tenzin explained helping El out of the water as Korra and the boys stood up. 

"What? Why not?" El questioned confused 

"She sensed that the world was in grave danger." 

"...She was right" Korra muttered, walking past to sit on a rock looking dejected 

"Were you able to stop Unalaq and Vaatu?" Tenzin asked 

"No, they fused. Then Vaatu ripped Raava right out of me and destroyed her...Vaatu won" Korra lowered her head in defeat. 

"No. I am too young to live through ten thousand years of darkness. Korra, can't you talk to one of your past lives or something?" Bolin begged 

"When Vaatu destroyed Raava, he destroyed my connection to the past Avatars too," Korra revealed

"If that's true, then-" 

"The cycle is over. I'm the last Avatar...I'm so sorry, Tenzin" Korra began crying as the others watched her sadly. 

El was in shock. The other Avatars - her grandfather. They were all gone. Really gone. She glanced over at Korra on the rock looking defeated and walked over, sitting beside her friend.