Novemeber 24, 2019

In the Life of a Rose...

I was at a perfect place to take a break. I knew Lilith would try and push me to do more so I brought my things with me. I was pretty good at balancing things out when it came to holidays; so, I decided to go home. Not to my house in the upper side of LA but back home in the lower parts where there were no cameras and celebrities just to spend time with my family for Thanksgiving.

Delilah had called me just days before to ask if I was coming and confirmed it which made her squeal over the phone. My mom even asked too and if Harley was coming but I denied it.

I didn't mind taking a road trip and I knew that the airports would be flooded with people going in and out of the state or country for the holidays. It was just normal.

It was dark when I pulled in front of the driveway to the brown stone-walled house. When I got out, the yellow light inside gleamed on the front glass that was placed on the door but it was fogged like some of the other windows. I walked past the brown door garage and went up the small steps that were intended only for the door. I rang the doorbell and heard people talking. A figure appeared on the other side of the wall and when the door opened, my brother, Cameron, stared at me.

"You're a day late," he said.

"No, 'hey, Thea! it's so nice to see you?!'" I said confusedly.

"Oh whatever," he muttered. "Hey, Thea." He came down and gave me a wide hug. "How much shit did you bring?"

"Not much. I'll just steal your clothes," I responded. He welcomed me inside and I was immediately bombarded with a toddler. My nephew, Elijah, to be exact.

"Aunt TT!" he exclaimed and I lifted him onto my hip.

"Thea!" my mom exclaimed. Her arms were wide as she did this shuffle towards me, hugging me with Elijah in my arms. "I'm so glad you could make it."

She held onto me for some time until my dad said, "Gabby, that's enough. Lemme welcome my daughter in." She pulled back, glaring at him and he came in to squeeze me tight.

"Hey, Delilah," I said, pulling her into my embrace. "Cam, where's Alena?"

"Bathroom."

"I'm here- Thea!" she exclaimed. We gave each other small kisses on the cheek and I pulled her brown, waves away from my lip gloss. "Sorry."

"You're good," I responded. I heard my mom and dad call my brother to get my stuff. "Be careful with my car."

"Sure!" Cameron called from outside.

I pulled my silk-pressed hair from Elijah's grasp so he wouldn't tug on it and Alena tried to take him away but I stepped back. "He's mine now."

"Okay. Whatever," she responded, holding up her hands. "He talks now and he listens too much. Don't be surprised when he repeats things back to you. He's a parrot."

"Imma put this stuff in your old room," Dad told me.

"Michael, put her things in her old room!" my mom shouted from my car and he gave me a look.

"Okay!" He shook his head and carried my suitcases upstairs.

"By the way, the house looks nice from what I remember," I said, speaking to Delilah.

"I'm sure it's the yellow lights and the Thanksgiving cheer," she replied. "Mostly the cornucopia on the counter." With my free hand, I touched it to feel that it was fake and the rest of the leaves and the Fall decorations.

"Anyway, where's Jasmine?"

"At the store getting the last few things," she responded. "You know how perfect she wants the food to be."