June 3, 2020

In the Life of a Rose...

'Police brutality is the worse thing that's in America,' my Twitter post said, 'With the death of George Floyd, it has ignited the country and its people of the problem that is going on our 'safe' nation. The United States is a lie. It's a third-world country wearing a Gucci belt.'

I had cried that day. The day when the entire nation watched a police officer put his knee on a man's neck after he repeatedly said he couldn't breathe. It was out of malicious intent since he wasn't armed. I definitely think it was because he was black, and so did everyone else.

"This was murder," I told Chris who was hunched over on the couch, massaging his forehead. "And everyone watched it happen."

"It's terrible," he replied with a heavy sigh. "I can't believe it. With all the things going on, there's also this."

"I was told about a protest that'll be going on today in the Common," I said.

"Yeah, I heard too. I've seen the ones happening over the nation ever since," he said.

"I think we should go and march with them. With our platforms, we can speak out against this bullshit."

"Okay," he agreed. "But if things get outta hand..."

"We'll leave."

Chris and I got ready, wearing black and made posters saying 'Black Lives Matter' on the front. We then drove to the main streets of the park. There were a lot of people already there so we parked a few blocks from the area. Putting on a mask, I slid sunglasses over my eyes, and he put on a hat and we got out.

People were shouting a chant and we joined in, walking with them, holding our signs up. Throughout the chaos and destruction of the previous protests, it was nice to find this one peaceful. We walked several miles and my feet never get tired because I was determined to fight for my rights as a black person.

I was glad that Chris came with me and that we got to walk we thousands of other people. Not only was it for black lives but for everyone, because they mattered too.