November 6, 2020

In the Life of a Rose...

"So you're bringing in a relationship counselor?" I asked.

"Not even close. It's my brother, Scott," Chris said from behind me and I was on the couch. "He's just coming over."

"To spend time with us so that he can solve our roommate quarrels."

"Jesus fucking Christ," he murmured. "We're not having a quarrel."

"And you're gaslighting this entire situation, how unbelievable," I dryly chuckled, rolling my eyes. I focused my attention on the red and blue screen of the 2020 presidential election. My heart was racing at the sight of Trump's electoral votes higher than Biden's.

"He's coming tonight," Chris said. "You've been wanting to meet him for some time now, and I really think you'll like him."

"If he's like you then I'm definitely going to hate him," I responded. He glared at me and went away even though he wanted to watch the race too; he could watch it on his phone.

To pass the time, I was on my phone when I heard the doorbell ring throughout the house. Chris's bedroom door opened and I waited for him to get the door since it was his brother.

"Chris!" Scott exclaimed, hugging his brother. Chris laughed and patted his back. He checked his temperature and welcomed him in so he could wash his hands and disinfect himself before taking off his mask. I looked behind the couch and stood, going towards the two.

"Scotty, this is my fr-"

"Roommate," I cut Chris off.

"My roommate, Thea."

"Thea," Scott said, with a wide smile. "It's nice to meet you."

"Hi Scott," I said in a sweet voice. I welcomed him with a short hug and in a slight second, I scowled at Chris, throwing up a middle finger, before pulling back. "I've heard so much about you."

"Likewise."

"Uhm, how 'bout we order some takeout?" Chris spoke. "How does Cane's sound?"

"I was gonna say Popeyes," I said with a wide grin and he scoffed. "But it's your choice, Scott. Or you can create a third party. We are living through the most crucial election of all time."

"I was actually craving some Jack in the Box," Scott said. "Does that satiate your needs?"

"Yes. Thank you for being considerate," I said. "Lemme help you with your stuff as Chris orders." I grabbed a suitcase and Scott took another and we went down the hall to his reserved room.

"Y'all are so weird," I heard Scott mutter and I ignored it because I knew he could sense the raging tension in the room.

"So this is your lovely abode," I said as if I was on a tv show. He had stayed there before so it wasn't new to him and I pushed his suitcase to the side.

"Hey, Thea," Chris called and Scott followed me back to the living room. My eyes had lit up because he had said my name with kindness even though it was maliciously laced. "Do you want a burger?"

"Yes, hold the ketchup, with some fries, and some kind of ice cream or milkshake," I listed.

"They have an Oreo milkshake," he said and I beamed, nodding. "Let's hope someone doesn't eat it." I couldn't help but laugh as he placed the order in and paid.

We sat down and my eyes fixated on the tv where Biden caught up in votes. They were both so low, trying to reach 270, but in the end, it would determine our next president.