December 22, 2021

In the Life of a Rose...

"You know, I'm really excited to meet your family," Chris said, glancing at me as he tried to keep his eyes on the road.

"It was only a matter of time," I said. "I've met yours and now you're meeting mine. It sucks that you won't get to meet Harley yet."

"Probably at your funeral."

"Probably," I stated. "At least you've met Lilith a few times."

"Well that was because it was for work and I so happened to encounter her," he pointed out. "She has Scott's humor which I like."

"Me too." I made a stressful sigh as we came off the highway and into the main city.

Anxiety filled me that Chris was going to meet my family. I was mostly worried about Delilah and her attitude problems. I knew that Cameron would do fine, along with my sister-in-laws, and my mom, but my dad was unpredictable.

Chris could sense the energy in the air and he placed a hand on my knee and rubbed it. I exhaled, being comforted by his soothing touch. I couldn't help but nervously chuckle as he turned onto the designated street.

"It's this house," I said, pointing towards it. He found a parking spot and stopped the car there.

"Hey," he began. He turned my head by my chin and kissed me. "It's going to be fine. I'm excited to meet them, okay?"

"We forgot Dodger," I expressed.

He lightly chuckled. "I'm having ScarJo take care of him. Stop trying to give yourself a reason to go back, we're already here." He kissed me again and I took him in; his lips calmed my nerves. "Let's go."

I got out of the car and grabbed my bag and suitcase as he grabbed the rest. We went up the steps and I knocked on the door. My mom was the one to open it and she squealed, hugging me.

"Come in!" she exclaimed as she threw her arms around Chris. "Welcome in. I'm Gabby, by the way."

"It's nice to meet you," he said.

"Sup Chris," Cameron said, giving him a side hug.

"Aunt TT!" Elijah screamed. I looked at the five-year-old who was running toward me and I used all of my strength to pick him up.

"You're so big!" I laughed. "¿Dónde es tu mamá?"

"No sé," he answered. For someone who followed his mother everywhere, he had no idea where she was.

"She's in her room," Cameron told me and I nodded.

"Who's this?" Elijah asked, pointing at Chris.

"Do you remember Chris?" I questioned.

"Hi, Chris," Elijah said softly, waving at him.

"It's nice to meet you, Elijah."

"Oh my gosh, it's Chris Evans," someone said and I turned to see a bright blonde-haired girl come out of the bathroom. I furrowed my eyebrows, confused as to who she was.

"Yes, it is," Chris said.

"Oh, shit, I forgot to tell you," Jasmine gasped from the kitchen as Delilah came in. "This is our daughter, Lydia."

"Daughter?" I inquired confusedly. I hadn't been informed that there was another person in the family and was just confused. "W-What?"

"Yes," Delilah nodded.

I set down Elijah who ran to his mother who had come downstairs to the room filled with awkwardness. When I looked at her, my eyes immediately dropped to the roundness of her belly showing through her dress.