June 13, 2020

In the Life of a Rose...

I hadn't gone to sleep yet and it was six in the morning. The sun was still coming out and I was still active and had just cried my eyes out from the last episode of The Vampire Diaries. I had finished it along with Defending Jacob and its review and was ready to move on to The Originals.

I got a notification on my phone that it was a contact's birthday: Chris. I gasped and got out of bed. Shuffling out of the room and down the hallway, I made my way to Chris' room. I had never been in it and didn't even bother being respectful because I know that he'd do it to me. I barged in, turned on the lights, and jumped onto the bed.

"Happy Birthday!" I screamed. He shielded his eyes, chuckling as I continued to bounce on his bed, the backboard hitting the wall. His tangled sheets and pillows were white and his comforter was striped in black and white.

"Seriously?" he laughed. He lifted himself causing me to stop jumping and I stood over him. He was shirtless and the light beamed on his glowing skin.

"Happy Birthday," I exhaled.

He grabbed onto my legs, causing me to lose my balance and I tipped over, falling onto the bed. I squealed, being engulfed in the comforters and the now awake Dodger began licking my face.

"Thank you, by the way," he smiled. "You just started my day perfectly."

"You're welcome," I grinned. "Now how old are you?"

"Thirty-nine."

"Oh, you're an old man."

"An old man who needs sleep," he told me. "Dodger, hit the lights." At his command, the dog jumped and used his nose to click the light switch and it turned off. Chris was on his back and he sighed, slowly drifting back to sleep.

I tried to sleep but I couldn't so I just kept my eyes open, gazing around his room. I rest my head on the backboard and noticed the spacious area around his bed. I then saw the entrance to his closet and next to it the bathroom that was hidden in the shadows.

The windows were partially covered in curtains with a dresser next to it. There was a shelf with a few books and other miscellaneous items that I couldn't make out. I had to say his room was ordinary; actually, comfortable.

I then realized that my leg was over his and I pulled it off. I got out of bed and took a last glance at him before leaving with Dodger, closing the door behind me.

I went to the kitchen and began making a birthday breakfast for him. It was a slice of toast, two for him since he was a big man who kept count of his calories, grilled cheese, some grilled tomatoes, spinach, and a sunny-side egg on top. There was Tapatio on the side for extra flavor and some fruits.

Chris came out in shorts and a t-shirt, a smile on his face. "Is this for me?"

"Yes, it is," I nodded.

He looked at me when I yawned. "You haven't slept yet, have you?"

"Nope," I answered.

He approached me, looked at the food then back at me. "Looks and smells good," he said. "It'll make me even happier if you went to sleep."

"Can we have dinner?"

"Sure, why not?" he agreed. "But first, you have to eat."

"Okay," I said softly. We went to the dining table and sat down, beginning to eat our breakfast. I was starting to feel tired as my eyes grew heavy. I quickly finished and I washed my plate before going to my room.

———————

I had finally woken up around five, early enough to prepare dinner. As I was going into the kitchen to pull out some pasta, Chris came in and stopped me.