February 14, 2020

In the Life of a Rose...

Well fuck Valentine's Day. For me, it was the worst holiday since my break up with David. Even though we didn't break up on the day, love was broken. Everything about markets profiting off of chocolate and strawberries and whatever else seemed artificial.

"Happy Valentine's Harley," I lightly said over the phone.

"Happy Valentine's boo," she replied. I could see her smiling through the camera. "Why don't you ask-"

"Shut the fuck up."

"You didn't even let me finish."

"I'm not asking Chris to be my Valentine's."

"He's the only available Bachelor," she stated. "All of the other Chrises are married."

"I know that," I said. "I'm not gonna ask him to be my Valentine's because we've made it clear that we're only friends."

"Mmm, whatever."

"Hey, I gotta go," I began, reading the new text that popped up, "my hairstylist is here."

"What are you getting?"

"Box braids, the usual. I think imma get knotless."

"Nice," she smiled. "Alright, bye."

"Bye." I closed my phone and went to the door to open it up for my stylist who came in with all of her stuff. I led her to an open chair and I sat down for her to immediately start.

After a few rows in, I could feel the length of the hair down my back and twirled the ends on my fingers. My phone buzzed and I received a Valentine's message from Lilith. There was a bunch of hearts and kisses and other provocative things.

"Michelle, are you doing anything for Valentine's?" I asked.

"I wouldn't be here if I did," she told me and I chuckled. "What about you?"

"No, not really," I said and she hummed. "But... nah, I don't think so."

"You seem unsure about this person, don't you?"

"Yeah. Sometimes there's built-up tension where I get butterflies and I flirt back and other times, it's a good laugh with a friend. Ya know?"

"Yeah, I understand," she nodded. "I hope things work out between you two."

I looked down at my phone and snorted, "Speak of the devil."

"Is it them?" she asked.

"Yup. He wants to hang out," I told her. "How long do you think this gonna take?"

"I'm already halfway so another two hours?" she said, with a questioning tone. "You'd look good for this date."

"It's not a date."

"Then why is he asking to hang out on Valentine's Day?" Michelle inquired. I didn't respond and she hummed, proving she was right as she continued to do my hair.

When she finished at four, she heat the ends and put mousse, and did my edges. She made sure my hair was dry before packing her things and I paid her and she left. I couldn't help but look at myself in the mirror, swinging my hair around after having a silk press for a while.

I went to my room and into my closet and stared at the options of clothes. I quickly shot Chris a text for the attire and he replied, 'Hobo.'  I responded with a laughing emoji. 'I'm serious. No cute shit.'

I rolled my eyes and agreed to the attire. Picking through my closet, I found navy blue baggy sweats and a gray jacket with a silk lining inside the hoodie in case I needed to wear it without ruining my hair. I put on some fuzzy socks and slid on some crocks in lounging mode.