July 4, 2020

In the Life of a Rose...

"Thea," Harley spoke over the phone and I hummed as I was cleaning my room. "You're gonna be a godmother."

"To who?"

"My baby."

I looked at my phone from across the room, my mouth agape and she just laughed. I screamed, rushing over to pick up my phone.

"You're fucking lying!" I exclaimed.

"No, I'm pregnant!"

I screamed some more and my eyes swelled with water. "I'm so happy for you, Babe!"

"I know. I just wish we could be in the same room."

"Yeah. I gotta tell the whole world."

"You mean Chris?" she asked. "That white boy is gonna get you in trouble."

"Whatever that fucking means," I muttered. "Anyway, happy Fourth of July and pregnancy!"

"I can only say you too for the first part," she laughed.

I then hung up and finished cleaning. When I left the room, Chris had a concerned look on his face. "What's wrong?"

"I thought you were dying," he stated. "Until I heard you laugh. What happened?"

"My best friend, Harley, is pregnant," I told him.

He made a hefty chuckle, saying, "Wow, that's great. I'm happy for her."

"And I'm gonna be the godmother."

"Even better... Aunt TT."

I leaned back and clapped, laughing, which made him join too and he did his classic chest slap. "That was a good one, Chris."

"I know," he sighed.

"I'm the rich aunt."

"Same here," he said. "But as an uncle." I laughed at his remark. "Ah, I just wanna be a dad, ya know? I want a big Boston family."

"I've heard from your numerous interviews."

He chuckled, blushing a little bit. "Would you ever want kids?"

I pursed my lips and shook my head. When I heard the dryer play its chime, I then said, "I have to go fix my bedsheets."

"Need help?"

"Uhm, sure." He followed me to the laundry room and helped grabbed my sheets and took the remaining, going into my room. He stood on one side and I was on the other, hooking the corners onto the mattress. After that was the bedspread and the single comforter that was rarely getting used because of the summer.

I went to the bedside table and plugged in a diffuser and poured in droplets of lavender to scent the room. Chris watched as I turned to the curtains and drew them open and reminisce in the sun.

"I'm feeling a lot better," I said softly.

"That's good," he said. "Anyway, I have a meeting to get to."

"A Starting Point, right?"

"Yeah."

"I'm not a political person but I'll probably look into it for the election," I explained. "Either way, I'm not voting for Trump."

"Same here," he agreed and closed the door on his way out.

My opened computer made a noise that I had gotten a notification and I sat in the vanity chair. I skimmed through the many emails to find the most recent one and opened it. Usually, it would be from Lilith but it wasn't, it was from the Academy Award's Committee.