February 26, 2021

In the Life of a Rose...

"Since we cannot hold the show in the Dolby Theatre, we should have a new set design," I spoke.

"Like what?" one of the members asked: Stephen; my partner in the member-at-large part. His cloudy blue eyes stared at me through the screen, wanting to know my thoughts, trying to know if I dared to be in this position. To him, I was replacing another member and I was the amateur who was still new to this sophisticated secrecy.

"It would be like a dining style. Spaced out tables with a distant amount of seats. I know it won't be a lot for everyone..." I trailed off, looking at my notes. I had this all planned out but it was difficult to pitch; but, I did it. "We would invite all of the winners in each category, then move onto the nominees. The invite list would only be stricter; which means, no guests, no plus-ones. I know people would love to invite their families but we can't afford to violate health regulations."

"That could work," a woman, Jennifer, said and others agreed and I had to force myself not to smile.

Stephen opened his microphone to say, "All those in favor say 'I.'" Those who agreed, which was most of them, raised their hands that we could see in the camera. "Alright, majority vote conquers... and I support it too."

"We should move onto the rest of the votes for nominations," Bobbi said. She was the leader of the film's music score section. "The song from Soul was good." I smirked since she used my favorite word which never revealed too much.

We voted for that and other categories. After that, Stephen made the list of invitees while I hired the recommended set designer, David Rockwell, to put my idea into action. The meeting ended and I had to start a new one in a few hours with the designer.

"Chris," I called out, going into the living room. "Chris?"

"Hmm," I heard him moan.

I followed his voice to his bedroom and saw that he had fallen asleep as he waited for me during the meeting. I climbed into the bed and laid next to him as he managed to flip over and look at me.

"I think I might have to go back to LA," I spoke, my voice low. He shot up, looking at me with dark blue eyes and I couldn't meet his gaze. "Yeah, for the Oscars. I haven't met with the set designer yet but I undoubtedly think I'm going to go over there."

"Okay," he breathed, thinking. "Then go."

"Really?"

"Yeah, you should go. I mean, you have been vaccinated so there shouldn't be much to it."

"I'll just wear a hazmat suit."

I got an email on my phone that David was ready to start the Zoom and I jumped out of Chris' bed, practically racing towards my room. I had said in an hour but I guess he was free to do it now.

"Hi, Mr. Rockwell, it's so nice to meet you," I said, smiling.

"Oh, thank you, Ms. Davis," he replied. "I'll like it if you call me David."

"And Thea will do."

"Alright," he said, and I could hear him clap his hands. "This is hard to do over the screen, is there a way we can meet in person?"

"I was thinking the same thing. We sure can."

He gladly nodded before proceeding to say, "With this new technology, I can make a digital design so once we meet, we can start putting it on a bigger landscape. Does that sound good?"

"It sure does." I began to tell him my plan and he was drawing it exactly on the app he projected on the call so I could see too. Honestly, it was nicer than my imagination.

"I was thinking it would take place in LA's Art Deco Union Station."

"That's a well-known place," I agreed. "The large windows will make it beautiful, especially since it'll be at night."

"With the night, we should have lamps. Eh, like a library setting," he pitched and I nodded, liking the idea.

"This scenery will also go into the Oscar's first-held award shows where they happened in the dining rooms of fancy ballrooms."

"Ah yes, something to celebrate the beginning," he stated. He did some more designs before saying, "Anything else?"

"No, I believe that's it for right now. We'll continue once we meet."

"How does next week sound?"

"Uhm..." my eyes wandered. "Sure, of course."

"I'll see you then."

"Alright," I said, ending the meeting. "Shit!"

"What?" Chris called and I turned to see him coming into my room.

"I have to leave soon," I said. I stood and went to him, wrapping my arms around his waist.

"How soon?"

"I'm guessing in three days," I told him. "I have to book a flight and get tested two days before my trip. Since it's not across the world, I don't have to quarantine for fourteen days."

"I wish I could come with you, b-but I can't," he said, brushing my cheek. He pressed a kiss on my lips. "I'll book your flight for you, okay? You just worry about packing sixteen pairs of underwear."

I laughed loudly, embarrassed of this thing all women did and I was a part of that percentage. I buried my face in his chest, still calming down from my boisterous emotion.

"I don't think that'll be enough," I said.

"Thea," he began, gazing intently into my eyes. "You moved out of your house."

"I can just stay in a hotel," I thought.

"Mmm, no," he denied and I frowned, pulling away from him. "Where's the location of the show?"

"Art Deco Union Station."

"Oh, I have a house near there. You can live in it," he offered.

"What?"

"We are roommates," he justified. "We never specified what house."

"Seriously?"

"Yeah, why not?" he said, shrugging as he went to sit on the couch. He was already opening his laptop to buy a flight ticket. "When you land, I'll call my neighbor to give you the keys and let you in."

I made a small smile and went to him, raking my hands through his grown hair. He leaned his head against my hip and kissed the fabric that covered my stomach.

"Thank you."

"Don't mention it," he said. I could tell he was in a daze of the laptop's light as he moved away from me and leaned into the device. "One way?"

"Yeah."

"Aren't you supposed to be packing?"

"I pack fast," I said.

"What, did it take you an hour to pack when I asked you to come to Boston with me?" he inquired, finally gazing at me.

"I already had a bag packed."