oh, the difference a year makes

This pic again cos we love soft angel babeys (and cos I'm too tired to find the one I actually want🌝)

A/N: 👀

been a while, huh? sorry about that, loves. see the a/n at the end for more info✨ for now, there's a couple important things to note: 

This one's VERY AU. It features P & J in highschool, in the same year as one another. I've kept Jesy older but only by less than a year, just for the sake of the oneshot. Besides Pez and Jes, Debs gets the most screen time (page time?). Alex (Perrie's DAD, not Ox) and Johnnie (Perrie's bro) both have a bit of dialogue as well. 

TWs include mentions of attempted suicide and one line about attempted SA. The story is a very cute and uplifting one (very self-indulgent on my part), I promise. The bad bits just serve as a jumping off point for a sweet lil friends-to-lovers arc. 

alright, I think that's all I have to say at the top end. It's a bit of a long one (20ish pages?) and it's not super action-packed, so I hope y'all enjoy it anyway🌝

Oh, also, I never did a final edit cos I just wanted to get this out here. Been too long since I posted.

okay, see ya at the end👍🏻

---

It's a year to the day of Perrie's attempt that Jesy takes Perrie's life and turns it upside down again—but, in a good way this time.

Though things had gotten better over the last year, Perrie's life still felt all sorts of bad-topsy-turvy before Jesy. Now, though, everything's been turned on it's head by the school's resident redheaded rebel. This year, Perrie's not worried about her parents rejecting her or the kids a school coming after her anymore.

No, all Perrie can think about is Jesy's pretty smile and her loud laugh and how warm she is when they snuggle up and watch movies on the couch. So, when the potentially bad bits of Perrie's world do flip upside down, Perrie doesn't much notice the upsidedownedness. She's too busy noticing Jesy and only Jesy.

Debbie notices. She's a little afraid at first when she realizes just how hung up on Jesy her baby is, but then Debbie meets Jesy and she realizes she has nothing to worry about. Jesy's loud and a bit brash, sure, but she's also kind and sweet and funny and she treats Perrie so softly that Debbie can't help but love her.

When Debbie meets Jesy's boyfriend, however, a bit of her worry returns. She's nervous about how Perrie'll react, but Perrie hardly bats an eye.

"Jake is a nice bloke. He definitely doesn't deserve Jes, but he's a good guy. He treats her well," Perrie tells Debbie, and Debbie just... well, Debbie gets a bit confused.

"I- maybe I'm way off base here Perriewinkle, but I sort of thought that you, uh. That you wanted to date Jesy," Debbie says, still not quite sure how to broach the subject of dating. She figures she can't mess it up much worse than she and Alex did the last time, when Perrie told them she liked girls. Never has she regretted anything more than the way she acted that night, and she's just glad that Perrie's still here despite her error.

Debbie'd never thought she was homophobic—she'd never paid gay people much mind, really—but to Debbie, being gay was the sort of thing other people did. She sure wasn't gay, and neither were any of her family members. Perrie had taken quite a shine to Drag Race, which Debbie didn't really understand, but she didn't mind either.

Maybe that's why Perrie came out when she did, because she thought her parents would handle it okay.

Plot twist: They did not.

Debbie broke down in an angry cry, and Alex did a fair bit of screaming and yelling before he ran off to the pub.

Perrie cried too, and had Debbie been able to see outside herself that night, perhaps she would've seen how badly Perrie was hurting, how deeply betrayed she felt by her parents' rejection. Maybe if Debbie would've sat her down and told her it was alright, Perrie would've opened up about the bullying. About how the kids at school suspected she was a bit queer, how they called her terrible names and held her down and tried to do terrible things to her.