so baby, baby, come and save me

(A/N: The baby one shot was the winner today! Enjoy!)

---

"Jesy, table 4 needs their eggs!" Bert yells, giving me a smile as I rush out of the kitchen, baby in one hand and eggs in the other.

"Egg!" Elle chants, pumping her tiny fists up and down, laughing as I rush to table 4.

I smile, laying the eggs on the table.

"Egg!" she chants again, pointing at the eggs this time.

"Yes, eggs," I say with a laugh. "Won't say mum, but you'll say egg, eh?"

"Egg! Egg egg egg!" she chants, looking first at me and then the patrons at the table.

Or, patron, I should say.

"Egg." She says to the blonde woman who is sipping her tea, before she makes a grab for a fistful of platinum hair.

"No you don't," I say sweetly, transferring her to my other arm and out of reach of the blonde woman, who looks a little startled.

"Sorry, she's very... friendly?" I say, not sure if that's the right word. "Also, she's partial to blondes, just like her mum," I say, shooting the woman a wink.

"Mum!" She yells at me.

"Ah, there we go!" I cheer with a smile. "Mum," I say, trying to prompt her to say it again.

"Egg!" she chants, laughing at me.

"You little bugger, getting my hopes up like that," I say, scrunching my nose at her. She scrunches right back, laughing at me some more and flashing her four baby teeth.

"Sorry," I offer, glancing up again at the pretty blonde at the table. Luckily, she seems amused, not upset.

"No, it's alright," she says, giving me a big smile. "My mornings are not usually this... cute."

"Ah, well, you've gotta love babies," I say.

"I wasn't talking about her, but yeah, she's cute too," she says, winking at me. "Perrie."

"Jesy," I say in return, shaking her outstretched hand. "And this is Elle. Or Ellie, Ella. Egg." I say, scrunching my nose at the baby, who laughs and scrunches right back again. It's her favorite facial expression right now. "She'll respond to anything starting with E."

"Good to know," Perrie says. "Good morning, Elle."

"Egg." Elle says in reply. "Egg, egg."

"This child is going to be the death of me," I groan.

Elle sticks her tongue out.

Perrie laughs. "What a way to go, eh?"

"Indeed," I say with a smile. "Can I get you anything else?"

Perrie shakes her head with a smile, which I return, before going to check on my other three tables.

I'd never noticed Perrie before, but I notice her now, as she comes in every morning this week.

We chat amicably each time she's here, talking about few things of substance and flirting a lot.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed when she doesn't come in the following Monday. I think Elle's a little sad too, as she grumbles something that sort of sounds like Perrie's name several times throughout the breakfast rush.

Elle's in a right foul mood Tuesday, grumbling and whining all morning, and I'm getting a little miffed myself. Not at the baby, but just at the general atmosphere. There's a grumpy old man that's been sitting in my section 2 hours, and I could tell the moment he walked in that he wasn't going to tip. Couple that with the grill breaking down twice and the distinct lack of Perrie, and I'm ready to go home before my shift is even half over.