Friends can break your heart too

A/N: A pic of S O f T  b A B e Y S . Pesy forehead kisses? It's all I want in life.

Title is from I Hate U, I Love U by Gnash ft. Olivia O'Brien

---

I knock on Jade's door crying for the third night in a row.

"Oh, Jesy," she says, pulling me into her arms as soon as she opens the door.

I do my best to mumble a quick sorry to bother you but it sounds more like sowwah taaa bawhayaaaa through my tears.

Jade quickly sits me on the bed and lets me cry out, holding me all the while. She murmurs quiet shhhhhhs and presses soft kisses to my hair until my breathing has slowed, and the tears are only falling every other minute.

"Is it Pez again?" she asks softly.

"Yeah," I admit with a sniffle.

"You've got to tell her, babe. Or try and forget about all this. You can't let her keep doing this to you," she tells me, just as she has pretty much daily over the last three months.

"I don't want to mess everything up," I say, leaning my head on Jade's shoulder. "If she doesn't feel the same, I don't think I'll be able to stand it."

"Well, no offense Love, but you're not really standing it all that well with how things are now anyway," she says, her tone soft but words firm. "Can it really get all that much worse?"

"I don't want to find out," I tell her truthfully, hiccupping softly.

"But what if it can get better? Don't you want to find that out?" Jade asks me, rubbing a hand along my back. "You can't keep on living like this, Jes."

"I know," I say, leaning all my weight on Jade.

"I'm gonna tell you a story, alright?" She says, speaking softly into my ear.

I nod.

"Alright, allow me to set the scene," Jade says, affecting an Aussie accent and making me giggle. It's clear from how tense she is that she's quite nervous.

I drop a hand to her thigh and give her a squeeze, as if to tell her that it's alright, but she just stares back at me sadly.

"The year is 2014," she says, like she's an ancient old man and 2014 was years ago. I suppose it was, but it hasn't really been that long, has it?

"I'd just broken up with Sam. Our relationship had fizzled, and I just wasn't all there for it anymore. I felt like I owed it to him to break things off before we got serious. We'd been apart a lot, travelling, and my eye had wandered to someone else."

I look up at her, curious. I knew Jade had been the one to do the breaking up, but at the time she's claimed that it was due to tough schedules and growing apart. I never knew there was someone else.

"Wh-" I start.

"Hold all questions until the end of the presentation, please and thanks," Jade says haughtily, and I laugh before motioning for her to go on.

"Anyway, I was single again, but the object of my affections had no idea that I was crushing on them," she says. "I tried to make it obvious, but she was completely oblivious."

She? I want to ask. Jade looks nervous though, so I refrain. Supposedly, all of us are straight. Publically, we're only allowed to date boys, though both Perrie and I have casually gone out with women in the past. And hooked up with one another. Repeatedly.