36. What we call FAMILY.

It's been two days since the encounter we had with Nicolas' father and as much as I'm curious to know about him, I didn't want to hurt his or Mama's feelings by asking questions

He and Mama were too good at pretending, but not enough to fool me.

His gorgeous smile was somewhere missing and Mama's sassy and hyper nature was on the low side from the last two days. I thought they wanted to deal with it on their own, hence I didn't pry but it hurts to see the two people I love the most in the world going through this.

So today Kia and I are baking a cake for her Nicky uncle and Mama in their absence. I glanced at Kia who was sitting on the countertop watching me mix the cake batter. "Ari?"

"Yes, Kia baby.", I answered while I wiped my hands on the apron and walked over to her.

She stretched her arms and hugged me closely. I hugged her back, "What's wrong Kia?"

"I'm happy.", she announced while she released herself from the hug." You will never leave me and Nicky uncle?", she continued as she looked at me with a hopeful smile.

"No Kia, I will stick with you forever.", I smiled as I tucked a piece of hair behind her ear." I love you, you know that right." I walked back to the oven to check if it was done when she added."What about Nicky uncle?"

"What about him, Kia?", I asked as I poured the cake batter into the tray of the oven.

"You'll stay with him forever too?" I smiled at her as I felt my heart race faster just by his name.

"Always and Forever." I found myself answering.

She smiled a toothy grin as she jumped off the countertop and wrapped her arms around my waist. "You're the best Ari." She twirled me around and giggled when I laughed at her playfulness.

"I love you, Ari." She said and embraced me tightly by pulling me down so that she could wrap her arms around my neck. I smiled at her sudden enthusiasm.

"Mama.", Kia yelled all of a sudden peering over my shoulder. Apparently, Kia had always seen her Nicky uncle, Aiden and Evans calling Mrs Arnold Mama, hence she also copied them. I turned only to witness him and Mama standing by the doors.

"When did you guys come?", I asked getting up off the floor.

They shrugged as Mama pulled Kia with her to show her what she brought home.

"Arielle?", He came closer, as he wrapped his arms around my waist pulling me so close that a needle could hardly pass through the gap between us.

"What?", I arched an eyebrow at him as he continued to hold me so tightly that I could feel his heartbeat in his chest.

"I-" before he could continue, the oven timer went off, as we both pulled away. I couldn't help but smile inwardly witnessing the disappointment in his eyes as he pulled away from me.