Chapter 31: Let me in

Y/N's POV
Monday
I was in the shower after my morning run, washing off all the pain and anxiety from yesterday's beating when my father got home. I'm really dreading facing Melissa today. I'll try and avoid her as much as I can and hope for the best. At least I have Art last.

I slept through all the classes since I didn't get much sleep and now I have Art. The Math teacher held me back and I didn't even know what shit he was talking, the only thing on my mind right now was that I did not want to be late to Mel's class.

I am fucking late, because of that fucking Math teacher. I'm now running to her class, hoping she won't kill me. I opened the door, "Sorry, I'm late Ms. Benoist." I went to take a seat and was disappointed when the only seat left was the one right in front of her. "Stay after class Ms. Y/L/N." Well shit, now she has a reason to hold me back after class. I think she's kind of mad at me and I don't blame her.

I tried to at least pay attention, but I just couldn't keep my eyes open.

I jumped awake when I heard a loud thud on my desk. I looked up and saw Ms. Benoist raising her eyebrow with her hands crossed. "I would suggest you pay attention Ms. Y/L/N or do you want detention?" Back to her strict, cold self I see. I gulped at the tone, but couldn't help to feel a bit turned on. "N-no Ms. Benoist. I'm sorry." She walked back behind her desk and continued teaching.

The bell finally rang and I was ready to run out the door even though I was to stay after class, but of course Melissa noticed me. "Ms. Y/L/N! I told you to stay after class!" I turned around in disappointment and walked to her desk. "Yes, Ms. Benoist?" I asked a bit annoyed, before she went to close the door. "So we're just going to pretend like everything's normal?" She raised her eyebrows in question. What should I say? I should act cold towards her so that she'd stop liking me. I hate to do that, but it's the only way. "Is it not?" I asked with a bite in my voice.

"Y/N, don't fuck with me. I don't know what happened to you in the past couple of days and I just cannot keep up anymore. First you act distant and annoyed or whatever, then you act all sweet and stuff, then you suddenly leave and act like everything's fine and now you just act like nothing happened and everything's normal." She is quite angry with me, but I could still hear a hint of sadness in her voice. "Mel, I told you I'm staying somewhere else and that I'm fine. And-" "Oh really?! You're staying somewhere else huh? Then why do I feel like you're lying to me Y/N? What happened to you baby?" She tried to cup my cheek with her hand, but I gently swatted it away. "I just... I don't want you to get hurt Melissa. Why can't you get that?! You should stay away from me." I felt tears forming in my eyes, but didn't let them fall. "I don't need you to protect me. I want to help you. Just let me in, please Y/N. Let me protect you." I signed, rubbing the bridge of my nose. "I gotta go Mel. I don't wanna be late for work." I turned my back to her and walked out the door. I could still hear her calling after me, but I kept going.

I walked into the coffee shop, hearing the bell above my head ring. Chyler was standing behind the counter, so I walked to her and gave her a big hug. "I missed you Chy." I mumbled into her neck. "I missed you too babygirl." I separated from the hug and reached for my apron, before tying it around my body. "So what's up with you?" Chyler broke the silence. "Nothing, everything's great." She squinted her eyes at me, trying to see through my soul. "I can see it on your face. Something's wrong."

I sighed. "It's just Mel."

"Oh? Yeah, I heard you two are a thing now. Can't say I didn't expect it, but don't worry I gave Mel a whole speech about hurting you. Do you need me to beat her up?" Chyler said half jokingly and I couldn't help but laugh at her last statement. "No Chyler I'm good. It's me who needs the beating."

"Okay? What happened." She asked with furrowed eyebrows. "I kinda acted bad towards her and then I moved out and-" "Wait. What! You moved out?"

"Yeah?" She sighed. "Why would you move out Y/N? And did you go back to that bastard?" Well, what the hell am I supposed to say to that? "I-" I got cut off before I could even say anything, by an angelic voice that I did NOT need to hear right now. "Y/N." Is the only thing she said and just stood there looking at me. "Hey Mel, what are you doing here?" Chyler jumped in, saving me from the beautiful woman. "I'm here to talk to Y/N." She didn't dare break eye contact with me and I got lost in the sea of blue color. "Let's go in the back." Melissa said before dragging me to the back room of the shop. This is going to be interesting.