~ It's Better This Way ~

The next few days were a blur of training her abilities, nightly boredom and dodging Elves L really didn't want to talk to. She and Robbie managed to explore every inch of the kingdom while Bryce's parents kept him predictably busy. They didn't even see him at meal times, although that may have had something to do with the fact that they generally ate in the kitchen. L was tired of having Elves staring at her, or coming to ask her things they didn't really need the answer to.

She had started to get the feeling they thought she was at their every beck and call, their own personal Keeper. It was becoming extremely tedious, and she couldn't wait to finally leave. The potion would be ready soon and she could return her focus to her parents. One glaring obstacle still stood in their way, however. Something she was reminded of every time she was called on by the queen, which was a lot.

If it wasn't to inform L of the colour scheme, it was to ask about food, music, whether or not she planned to do anything with her hair. L felt like she was back with the Smith's, only this felt worse, at least she could avoid Eileen whenever it got too much. Right now she was stuck here, being polite to the royals so they didn't decide to be difficult about the potion, but her patience was wearing thin.

It was the day before the ball and L had already been called on three times by the queen. She was trying to persuade L to wear traditional Elven robes, despite L explaining more than once that she would be wearing Keeper clothes.

"It would be fetching to see you and Brycathlen wearing matching outfits. It would give just the right impression."

L scowled internally, she got the feeling she knew exactly what that impression might be. 

"That would be lovely, Your Majesty, however I think it would be more appropriate that I wear Keeper clothing. I wouldn't like to give the impression that I favour one species over any other."

From the look on the queen's face, that was definitely what she was hoping to achieve.

"Very well, I expect you'll be wearing the colours we discussed?"

L resisted gritting her teeth and nodded, "I plan to try, Your Majesty. Would that be all?"

L was itching to get out of there, the longer she stayed around the queen the more subtle questioning she did.

"Yes, I believe so. If there's anything more I will send for you."

L bowed and retreated from the room as quickly as possible, flooded with relief she almost ran into someone in her distraction. They jumped aside when L did, and she felt her relief suddenly change to regret.

Castiah was smiling at L, his arms outstretched, "Ah, Keeper, so good to see you again. You're a very difficult person to pin down."

L visibly cringed when Castiah winked at her, "What do you want?" She asked pointedly, there was something about him that made her uneasy.

Castiah acted as if nothing were amiss and crossed his arms, eyeing L up before he spoke again.

"I have a matter I must discuss with you, is there somewhere we could go to talk?"

L snorted internally though keeping her composure, "I'm quite busy at the moment, is it urgent?"

Castiah seemed highly amused by something she'd said, "It is, to me anyway. I would take it to the king and queen but it feels a little too delicate, I'm sure you would prefer I bring it to your attention first."

L's curiosity was snagged, she would probably kick herself later for what she was about to say. "Fine, I have somewhere we can discuss the matter."

She walked away without giving him time to respond, and sensed him hurrying to follow.