~ Cold Hard Truth ~

It took L another moment to catch up with what she'd just seen. The man standing in front of them; with his blue and white, flawless skin, bald head and piercing black eyes, had just transformed from the menacingly large creature they'd faced moments before. He was on all accounts, beautiful, well built and tall. It all seemed a little too unnatural to L, but more frustratingly it didn't tell her what he was.

"What. The. Hell?" Robbie's voice interrupted L's thought process.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to discombobulate you all."

The man seemed to speak directly to Robbie, his accent had a lilt to it, L thought it sounded Swedish or Norwegian but it wasn't quite the same.

"He can hear me?" Robbie asked L, his voice wavering under sudden nerves.

"I can hear you, yes," the man answered Robbie himself, though it was still out loud. "I've met some Dragons in my time, not for many days now... or is it centuries? I can't keep track."

He looked pointedly at Sully, who frowned and seemed to be trying to hide a shake of his head in response. L and Bryce exchanged a glance, neither had any idea just what was going on.

"I think they're looking for an explanation." Sully informed the man when nobody spoke for several seconds.

"Ah, yes, our wager. I bet Sully here that you would fight back when I lied regarding knowing your parents. He bet you'd surrender before fighting my alternate form, he was wrong and he paid the price."

The man grinned at Sully, showing off blindingly white teeth.

"So you did know my parents? They did come here?" L recovered quickly, brushing over the fact that they bet on her, for the moment.

"I did, yes, wonderful entities, a little headstrong and impulsive but I suppose that must be a genetic trait." He looked pointedly at L, who was still holding the fireballs.

She let them die out, though she didn't let her guard down.

"Did you help them then? Do you know where they went?"

The man seemed to be busy examining the coin Sully had given him, but he glanced to L briefly and nodded.

"I did and I do, but let's adjourn somewhere to discuss this. The entrance is not the homeliest room in my abode."

The way he talked made L's tongue feel weird, as though he was mixing up speech patterns without realising. He beckoned them all to follow him and began walking deeper into the cavern with Sully. They were talking and laughing like old friends, going over the details of the journey to their current position.

"Can someone tell me what just happened?" L stared after the strange man and Sully, feeling completely baffled.

"I believe we were tricked," Bryce admitted, looking as confused as L felt.

"And they bet on what kind of person you are, not sure how that would sit with me." Robbie mused, snorting smoke from his nostrils to emphasise his point.

"But we do need answers he has, so I think we have to put up with their antics, for now" Bryce replied once L had told him what Robbie said.

L sighed heavily, "We better go after them then."

When they caught up to Sully and the stranger, they had entered a room inside one of the blocks of ice. It must have been magic because inside was a perfectly ordinary, incredibly large, decorated living room, albeit a medieval looking one. Two benches split the length of the room and a pit in the floor, between the two, showed where a fire might go. Tapestries of various battles hung on the walls and furry rugs lay on the floor.