~~ Cold Hard Truth ~~

The scene opened to a different airport, L's parents were rushing through the crowds of people to collect their luggage. They looked well rested and determined, navigating their way through the airport with ease until they were outside. It was scorching hot, the sun was beaming down on them the moment they stepped outside, but they didn't seem to notice. They headed for a short, dark haired man standing beside a shiny black car.

He wore a white shirt and beige trousers, his skin was tan and appeared to be cracked, despite looking as young as L's parents. L was surprised to realise he was an earth Elemental; it was unusual to find them standing out in the open like this, they preferred solitude. He even had a welcoming smile on his face when he saw L's parents, he stepped forward to shake their hands.

"Greetings, Kaf, I hope you're well." L's dad spoke quietly, stowing their bags in the boot.

"I am, thank you. How are you doing, all things considered?" His accent was light, as though he didn't spend much time in his home country.

"We are... coping." L's mum responded. "Are we ready to go?"

"Yes, of course." Kaf gestured towards the car and the three of them climbed in, L's dad took the passenger seat while her mum took the back seat.

L rolled her eyes but didn't say a word as they watched the car begin to drive away. The scene didn't change however, instead they were automatically whisked into the back seat of the car. Somehow, L, Bryce and Robbie managed to fit in the back- though considering they weren't really there, it wasn't much of a feat. But L was sitting next to her mum, she was so close she could feel her body heat, see the flecks in her brown eyes.

L wanted to touch her, to lean in and nestle into her side, to feel her holding L while she talked. But that wouldn't happen, and L needed to push away these fantasies or risk missing something crucial.

"The Jinn are anxious to meet you, it has been some time since they have been in contact with a Keeper." Kaf spoke without looking away from the road.

"Yes, well the next time will last forever if they can't help us." L's mum remarked.

L almost laughed, it was interesting to know her mum had a touch of the pessimist about her.

"If they can't help us, we still have other options." L's dad reminded her with a smile, L got the impression he usually attempted to brighten her mood.

It seemed to help. she smiled back at him and nodded, it didn't reach her eyes but she looked hopeful.

"Do you know what assistance they require in return, Kaf?"

"I do not, they would only speak of it with you. Si, I have to advise you to be careful in your dealings with the Jinn. If you ask too much, they will hold that debt and that is something you do not want, my friend."

"If they have a way to save our daughter then we'll do whatever it takes." His voice was level, unwavering.

L's dad didn't hesitate, nor did he look up from papers he now had resting on his lap. He spoke as though it was a given, it didn't take any thinking about and that it should have been obvious they'd do anything to keep her safe. L felt her chest swell, it was a feeling she wasn't quite sure she could identify.

Her dad's confidence was so palpable, Kaf didn't question him again and took to explaining how the meeting with the Jinn would work. They would take an offering of food or water, explain why they were there and the Jinn would deliberate whether they could help. It was nothing L didn't already know, Keepers had some prior knowledge of the Jinn; a species of creatures known for granting special favours to those they deemed worthy- or those they could get something equally worthy from in return.