Chapter Eight

Nat sprinted across the rooftops, vaulting over small walls and jumping across gaps between them as she pursued Y/N. She should have thought ahead, should have known that Y/N would somehow figure out the text message had not simply been her trying to have a conversation with them. Yelena had nearly paid for that mistake with her life, something Nat would never have been able to live with. 

It was a good thing that Wanda had been so insistent about coming along to help, if she hadn't been there to stop that bullet then things would have been really bad. Pushing herself to run faster, Nat leapt across from one roof onto the next, just ahead of her she could make out the dark shape of Y/N in the distance. 

Letting Y/N get away was not an option, not when tonights mission was likely going to have royally pissed off the other widow, who had already demonstrated that there wasn't a line they weren't willing to cross to make Nat pay for the past. 

Nat drew her gun from the holster on her thigh and not pausing in her run, she lifted it and took aim at Y/N. She wouldn't shoot to kill, no, Nat refused to let herself become that person, instead she aimed for Y/N's legs. The gun bucked in her grip as she fired, Y/N had their back to her, they wouldn't be able to see this bullet coming. 

An immense searing pain ripped through Y/N's lower leg and it caused them to crash into some kind of storage unit on the roof. They just about managed to put their hands out in time to stop their face from being smashed into the solid cold metal wall. Looking down they assessed the bloodied and torn up state of their lower leg. 

"Fuck" Y/N growled knowing that they didn't have time to try and patch it up, not when they could already hear Natalia's hurried footsteps getting closer. 

Deciding that the bag of stuff they had been carrying wasn't worth the effort, Y/N dumped it on the ground. They could get hold of new weapons and clothes later, for now they needed to figure out how the hell they were going to get away. 

Y/N stood up straight and ignored the scream of agony that screamed through their body as they put weight on their ruined leg. If there had been one thing that the years of torture done to their body had taught Y/N it was how to shut off from the pain, to carry on going even when it felt like it would never end. 

Their dark hazel eyes scanned the rooftop and settled on the fire escape stairs attached to the side of the building. If they could get down to the ground then they could try to disappear in the crowd below, perhaps even find a vehicle to steal. 

"Y/N! Damn it, will you just stop!" Nat's voice came from behind them. 

Glancing over their shoulder, Y/N smirked at Natasha before turning back around and beginning to run again, launching themselves over the side of the roof. 

Nat's eyes went wide as she saw Y/N throw themselves over the edge of the building, what the hell were they thinking?! From what Nat could tell they didn't have any form of harness on, which meant they had nothing to stop them from falling straight down to the concrete below. 

Her heart was racing as she skidded to a stop and leaned over the side where Y/N had jumped. Nat saw Y/N they were gripping onto the metal railing of the fire escape a few floors below, with one hand, struggling to keep their grip on the rain slicked bar. There was at least another 10 floors between them and the ground. 

"Let me help you" Nat said as she rushed down the steps, reaching the platform that Y/N was hanging from. 

"I would rather fall to my death than ever trust you to help me Natalia" Y/N glowered up at her, the landing of their jump hadn't gone to plan all because of the stupid wound in their leg being unable to support them.