Chapter Forty

Nothing could ever last, that was what flashed through Y/N's mind as they plummeted through the floor of the apartment. Just as they were figuring things out with Nat and attempting to deal with their trauma, they were falling, an explosion tearing the apartment block apart. 

Y/N wondered if this was the universe's way of telling them to give up, to stop fighting to survive but being as stubborn as they were Y/N refused to accept it. Throwing an arm out, Y/N grabbed hold of a now exposed metal bar, stopping themselves from falling any further. The jagged edges tore into the skin of their palm causing them to hiss in pain but they tightened their grip anyway, they hung there for a moment assessing the chaos. 

Below them where the remaining apartments should have been was now a massive drop where the building had collapsed in on itself. There were people screaming and yelling, the sound of sirens was distant but grew closer. The air was thick with dust and debris, limiting Y/N's visuals. What they could make out though was a ledge not far from where they were, it looked like it had once been someone's kitchen before whatever had caused the explosion had gone off. 

Looking up, Y/N calculated that they had at least fallen four, possibly five floors from where their apartment had been. They needed to get back up there, they needed to find Natalia and make sure she was okay. The metal pipe groaned slightly, the middle of it already starting to bend, it was now or never Y/N told themselves. 

Taking a deep breath, Y/N swung their legs building some momentum and then without another thought launched themselves forward letting go of the metal pipe just as it snapped and went tumbling hundreds of feet down to the chaos below. 

Y/N slammed into the wall, they stumbled slightly but managed to avoid going over the edge of the collapsed floor. Blood covered their hands and Y/N could feel it leaking from their nose as well due to the force they'd hit the wall with. Focusing, Y/N looked around and tried to figure out how to get themselves back up to the sixth floor, or at least what was left of it. 

**

Nat winced as she rolled onto her side, her vision was blurred and her body ached from the rubble that had fallen on her as the explosion had gone off. Lifting a hand to her head she felt the blood that was flowing from the large cut there. At least that explained how she had temporarily blacked out. 

"Ah good you're awake, I would really have hated you to miss this next part" A male voice came from behind Nat. 

Bucky stepped forward, his face was partially obscured by a mask, it reminded Nat of when they had first encountered Bucky, back when he had still been the Winter Soldier. It hurt seeing how far Bucky had fallen since aligning himself with Antonia Dreykov. 

"Screw you Bucky" Nat snapped as she tried to get up. 

With a swift kick to her side though, Bucky sent her sprawling back to the ground, his eyes filled with hate as he looked down at her. Nat had ruined everything, and Bucky blamed her for her poor choices, those had been what had robbed him of his life here. All because she had refused to see how bad Y/N was for her. 

Leaning down, Bucky grabbed Nat by her throat with his vibranium hand, lifting her from the ground with ease. It would have been so easy to have taken a few steps and dropped her through the massive gap in the floor but those weren't his instructions. 

No, Antonia had a far more twisted game that she wanted to play and Bucky didn't dare cross her, now when he had seen over these months with her just what lengths Antonia would go to, to get revenge. 

Instead Bucky dragged Nat across the room, stopping by a large pile of rubble that had fallen in from the roof. Dropping her, Bucky applied the restraints to her arms and legs, before tearing off part of his shirt and forcing it into Nat's mouth.