Chapter Twenty-Nine

Nat looked up from the chair she was curled up in, a book resting in her lap, as she heard footsteps approaching. For the last couple of days she'd done a good job of avoiding everyone. After coming back from the cabin, she hadn't known how to process what had happened between her and Y/N. It had spiralled out of control so fast. Nat knew she should have stayed, that she should have talked to Y/N but the moment Y/N had said they didn't love her anymore, it had made Nat want to run. 

She saw who it was walking in and Nat considered getting up and leaving. Bucky was making his way toward the her. They hadn't spoken since the incident in Y/N's apartment and Nat wasn't sure why Bucky had been so adamant on trying to prove that Y/N was playing a game but he had succeeded in causing a lot of damage because of it. 

"Hey, Bruce said I would find you here" Bucky said as he came to a stop, standing across from where Nat was sitting. 

"Does Bruce need me for something?" Nat asked flatly as she closed the book she had been reading. 

"No. I actually just wanted to talk to you" Bucky replied as he shifted on his feet, "I wanted to see how you were doing." 

Nat just laughed and shook her head, she couldn't believe that Bucky was standing there trying to act like he would be the person she would want to be talking to right now about everything. She'd caught the look in his eyes when she'd returned from the cabin, it was a quiet look of smugness at the fact that Y/N had hurt her. 

"I'm fine. Thanks for asking" Nat said bluntly as she got up from the armchair. 

Bucky frowned deeply at how cold Nat was being toward him, he didn't understand why she was so angry at him. All he'd been doing was trying to look out for her, to stop her from making a bad choice. Y/N had been screwing around with Nat's emotions, that had only been confirmed by what Y/N had said to Nat at the cabin. 

"Nat come on, I'm the good guy here why are you mad at me?" Bucky asked as he followed after Nat as she walked away from him, "I might have been wrong about Y/N planning to hurt you physically but it seems pretty clear now they had every intention of eventually hurting you emotionally."  

Hearing what he said Nat spun around, anger flashing in her eyes as she looked at him. 

"You really think you're the good guy in this situation?!" Nat shouted at him, not caring if any of the others heard them, "For years I have held onto the smallest bit of hope that Y/N was out there and when I finally get them back, when they're back here in my life, you come along acting like some possessive asshole and sabotage it!" 

Bucky looked shocked by the sudden outburst, but Nat didn't care. 

"We were never together Bucky, what happened between us was a stupid mistake, a total misjudgement on my part. I don't want to be with you and if you thought that by somehow 'saving' me from Y/N was going to have me running back into your arms, then you really are an idiot!" Nat let it all out tired of holding all the emotions in now, "Because of you I let myself doubt Y/N for just a moment and that has cost me everything with them. Now they'll probably never want anything to do with me! So yeah well done Bucky, you win, you got rid of Y/N but you also lost me as a friend!" 

"Nat come on, they never deserved another chance with you. They tried to damn well kill you more than once! Why are you refusing to see that they aren't who you want them to be?!" Bucky argued back, confused by what it was that Y/N held over Nat to make her so oblivious to how bad they were for her. 

"Y/N is good, they have suffered through more than all of us. So they made some bad choices, but underneath all of that is the person who saved my life more than once when we were in the Red Room together! Y/N held me together when I was at my worse, they made sure I never fell apart! And when I should have been doing that for them, when I should have been there for them I betrayed them by thinking the worst of them!" Nat yelled at him. 

She hadn't noticed Wanda and Yelena appear, both of them looking worried as they looked between Nat and Bucky. Before either of them could interrupt and break up what was going on before it got worse, FRIDAY's voice filled the corridor. 

'Miss Romanoff there are three people at the front gate. They say they are here to see you, shall I let them in?' 

A screen on the wall to Nat's left flickered on and showed feed from the front gate camera. Stood there were two well dressed men and a woman was standing between them, dressed in far more daring attire. 

"Hey, I think that's Dimitri and maybe Rhys. Oh and that is definitely Maze with them" Yelena spoke, peering over Nat's shoulder at the screen. 

Great, this was just what Nat needed right now. Round two with Maze who had already been to the compound once and threatened to burn the place to the ground if she wasn't allowed to go and see Y/N. 

"No Friday, I'll go to the gate don't open it" Nat replied before switching the screen off. 

Nat didn't even bother looking at Bucky as she moved past him and made her way out of the compound. 

"Yeah I think we should probably go with her" Yelena said to Wanda, who nodded in agreement, neither of them saying anything else as they followed Nat. 

**

Maze glared at the security camera. It had been five minutes and so far no response, the gate had remained closed. She was moments away from asking Rhys to rip the damn thing apart when a set of figures appeared, walking toward the gate. 

"If we can avoid a situation that involves me ruining my very expensive suit I would appreciate that Maze" Dimitri said as he straightened the lapel of his suit jacket. 

"Not sure now is the time to be worrying about your tailoring D" Rhys warned him as he adjusted his position to stand protectively beside Maze. 

Nat reached the gate and looked at the three people stood there waiting for her, none of them offered a greeting and neither did she. 

"I'm going to make this short and very simple for you Romanoff. You're going to get the witch to undo whatever crackpot magic she's cast on that cabin and on Y/N and then you're going to let Y/N leave with us" Maze glared at Nat as she spoke. 

Wanda and Yelena came to stand beside Nat. 

"Why would we do that? You lot are a bunch of criminals, Y/N doesn't need to be getting caught up in that crap" Yelena snapped back at Maze. 

Maze snarled at Yelena. 

"You all think you're so much better than everyone else don't you?" Maze rolled her eyes, "If I hadn't got to the cabin when I did, we would be having a very different discussion right now. Whatever happened, whatever you did to Y/N nearly broke them." 

Nat's heart dropped at the accusation. 

"Y/N always thought they were the one that didn't deserve you. The truth of it is though, it's you that doesn't deserve them" Maze said looking directly at Nat, "So the best thing you can do for them now is stay the hell out of their life and let them try to move on." 

Dimitri cleared his throat as he stepped up to the gate, offering Wanda a polite smile. 

"Undo the magic please and we will be on our way and none of this has to get any messier than it already is" Dimitri said as he glanced back at Maze who looked ready to burst with rage. 

"Nat?" Wanda asked looking to her best friend. 

"Do it" Nat nodded after a moment, she shouldn't have been surprised that Y/N would want to leave that they would choose these people over them. 

Maze looked triumphant at the agreement to undo the magic on Y/N. 

"Stay away from Y/N. Don't bother trying to seek them out, you'll only do more damage to them" that was Maze's parting shot at Natasha before she turned and stalked away, followed by Rhys. 

Dimitri lingered for a moment, tilting his head slightly as he curiously studied Natasha. After a moment he smiled slightly and spoke.  

"Whilst I usually agree with Mazikeen on most things, this once I'm not going to. If you love Y/N as much as I just observed in your mind Natasha, then may I suggest that you don't give up on them" Dimitri winked before turning and leaving to catch up with Maze and Rhys. 

Nat watched the three of them disappear, she lingered there for a moment, wondering if Y/N would really want her to find them. 

Could this be fixed?