Chapter Twenty-Three

Maze kicked open the door, she had managed to slip away mostly unnoticed from the main club area and had been glad to escape before having to listen to the bickering that was no doubt going to happen between the 'superheros' once they all arrived.

Stepping into the room, Maze stalked up to the other person who was casually sprawled across one of the couches. Without a second hesitation Maze pulled her hand back and slapped them forcefully.

"What the hell was that for Mazikeen?!" Y/N exclaimed, their eyes wide with shock as they held the side of their face.

"That was for turning up here half dead and for scaring the absolute shit out of me!" Maze scowled at Y/N but then her face softened as she grabbed Y/N in a tight hug, "And this is for not dying on me. I've missed you."

Y/N chuckled lightly and wrapped their arms around Maze, hugging her ex-girlfriend back. Like themselves, Maze was an ex-widow and upon gaining her freedom she had ended up here working for Dimitri. That had been how the pair of them had met, there had been an immediate spark between them which had led to a whirlwind relationship. 

In the end though they had decided that being friends was the better choice. Maze had been one of the only people who had understood what Y/N had gone through, having suffered through the Red Room herself and she had accepted Y/N for who they were no questions asked.

Which was why even when they had been bleeding out, Y/N had managed to tell Wanda and the others to bring them here. Not only did Maze have insane healing abilities that could save their lives, thanks her mutant gene, but Maze would also be the one person who would help them with this insane plan.

Antonia Dreykov clearly wanted Y/N dead, so why not make her believe she had succeeded in doing that? To make it believable though the others, the Avengers, also needed to think it was true. Y/N was sure none of them would be that heartbroken about losing them anyways. So when Maze had walked in and begun working on Y/N they had convinced her to tell them she had been unable to save Y/N.

If Antonia thought Y/N was dead then that would mean she'd never see them coming for her. That was what Y/N had said to Maze, that their plan was to take Antonia out before she could cause any more pain to people. To do that though Y/N wanted to be able to completely take Antonia by surprised. 

Y/N wanted Nat back more than anything but it had occurred to them that even if they were reunited with Nat, Antonia would stop at nothing to tear them apart. So whilst the Avengers focused on rescuing Nat, which Y/N knew they would, it gave them the window of opportunity to go after Antonia. 

"Well it's not like I wanted to get shot Maze, it wasn't on the top of my to-do list y'know" Y/N grinned at their friend as Maze pulled back from the hug. 

"Whatever, you always have to make some kind of dramatic entrance" Maze teased as she sat on the coffee table in front of Y/N, "I still remember that time you drove a motorbike straight through the club and proceeded to toss the beat up body of some guy Dimitri asked you to find on the bar!"

"Ah that was a good time" Y/N laughed as they adjusted their position on the couch, "Dimitri didn't stop complaining for weeks about the wheel marks on the floor." 

"Well as fun as skipping down memory lane is, we should probably get going your new crew have just left and are heading for Antonia's location" Maze told Y/N with a serious look. 

Y/N nodded and slowly pushed themself up from the couch, whilst Maze was able to heal the wound, it was still sore. Normally Maze would have lectured them about resting and not rushing after a healing, but Maze knew better than to try and convince Y/N to do that right now. Picking up a spare jacket that maze has found for them, Y/N slid it on and then approached the table in the centre of the room.