Chapter Twenty

Y/N was dead. 

That was all that went through Nat's mind and each time fresh tears filled her eyes, slowly they rolled down her cheeks. This was all her fault, if she had been more focused and been more careful then she would never have been captured and Y/N would have still been safe on the Raft. 

Each time she closed her eyes, Nat saw the image over and over again. The glass shattering, Y/N falling to the floor as the bullet found its target. There had been no further taunts from Antonia since and there had been no visits to the room she was locked in from any of the Widows working for her. 

Regret. Nat had so much of it now, she should have fought harder for Y/N, she should have convinced the others and Shield that Y/N didn't deserve to be locked up on the Raft. She should have ignored everyone's advice to stay away from the Raft and seeing Y/N. Now her last memory, her last moments with Y/N were those in the Safehouse, where so much had been left unsaid. 

She would never have the chance now to see if they could have had the future both of them had spoken about so many times, the one they had had promised each other. Nat had seen the change if Y/N's eyes in the moment she had confessed to still loving them, it was like watching a wall crumble down as Y/N had realised she'd truly meant it. The ending of their story had been cut short, torn from them by yet another ghost of Natasha's past. 

Nat swore to herself that she would kill Antonia for this, she would have her revenge for the endless pain that Antonia had inflicted on her. She just needed to find a damn way out of this room first, then she would figure out how to deal with her and the other Widows. They would regret their choices, Nat would make sure of it. 

As if the thought had summoned her the door to the room swung open and Antonia strode in, a smirk of victory on her face as she looked at Natasha. Clenching her jaw, Nat strained against the handcuffs and the chains around her ankles, wishing they would snap so she could launch herself at Antonia and wipe the smugness from her face. 

"Now come on Nat are you really going to waste your energy on trying to break through vibranium restraints?" Antonia laughed at her, "Like I would use standard restraints on you, the infamous Black Widow." 

"Go to fucking hell you bitch" Nat glared at her, fury blazing in her eyes. 

"It hurt doesn't it? Losing someone close to you" Antonia said as she lent against the wall and watched Natasha. 

"You'll pay for this, I swear I will not rest until I destroy you and everything you've built. Nobody will remember the name Dreykov by the time I'm done" Nat said as she looked at Antonia. 

"Well I can't wait to see how you manage that from in here. You've been bested Natasha, you should just accept that you've lost. There is nothing you can do that will bring dear Y/N back to you, they're gone, forever" Antonia smirked, watching as her words hit Natasha like punches. 

"The others will be coming, you won't be able to take on every Avenger. Widows are no match for all of them" Nat replied with confidence. 

"True, but I don't intend to be here" Antonia shook her head, "No I'll be leaving now and so will most of the widows but we'll be sure to leave some nasty surprises for your friends. You won't be making it out of here Natasha" 

With that said, Antonia grinned wickedly at Nat before turning and leaving the room again. The door thudded shut a series of clicks sounding as it was locked once again. 

Nat closed her eyes and again the image of Y/N collapsing came rushing back. What she wouldn't give to have had just one more moment with them, one more conversation, one more embrace, one more kiss.