Chapter Twenty-One

Yelena sat at the bar in the empty club, a glass of vodka was in front of her, it was the second one she had gotten herself since the conversation had taken place in Dimitri's office. She was still trying to process what had happened, hoping that at some point someone would say that it was a horrible joke. 

Nobody did though, Clint was sat a few stools down from her, his face filled with a mixture of disappointment and sadness. Wanda was sat beside her, the redhead equally as as quiet as she stared into her glass of water. They had done everything they could, but clearly that had not been enough. Maze had explained to them all that Y/N had been too far gone, even for her healing powers. 

They had lost Y/N. 

Yelena hadn't expected it to hit her so much, or the others, none of them had known Y/N for long but as much of a pain in the arse as the widow had been they had still for a small time been part of the team. Y/N was also someone that Natasha cared about deeply, which none of them had forgotten. 

"Well, you lot look like you could do with more drinks" Dimitri said as he appeared behind the bar, followed by Rhys and Maze, who both looked upset. 

Dimitri expertly poured them drinks and slid the glasses along the bar to each of them, before then handing Rhys and Maze a glass each. With one poured for himself, Dimitri raised the glass up and looked at each of them before speaking. 

"To Y/N, the most stubborn and sarcastic assassin. Gone far too soon" He spoke with a smile on his face but a deep sadness swept through his eyes. 

All of them lifted their glasses before downing the alcohol. 

"Will you keep their b-body here... until we come back" Wanda asked quietly. 

"Yes of course" Dimitri nodded, "Rhys was able to figure out who the traitor is that has been working here, I've sent some of my men out to collect them and bring them back here. You are all welcome to remain here until your friends arrive. Perhaps by then we'll have some more information for you regarding Antonia Dreykov." 

Clint had spoken with Steve, though this had been before the news of Y/N. They had decided to fill the others in on what had happened when they got here, it felt like the kind of news that should be given in person rather than over the phone. Steve, Tony, Sam and Bucky were due to arrive in Budapest shortly, then the focus would need to be on getting Nat back safely. 

Sliding of her stool, Yelena walked away from the group, not sure where she was going but she couldn't stay sitting there any longer. Easily navigating through the club, Yelena found the exit and stepped out into the cold morning air. 

Yelena let the cold air help to clear her mind as she stood there, even when she hear the door opening behind her, she kept her eyes closed knowing exactly who it was from the sweet scent of perfume. 

"Are you okay my love?" Wanda asked softly as she slipped her arms around Yelena's waist from behind, pressing a light kiss to Yelena's neck. 

"I know it wasn't any secret that I didn't like Y/N much but this happening... I mean this is not okay Wands" Yelena sighed sadly, "This will absolutely break Natasha and I don't know how I'm even going to be able to tell her." 

Wanda hugged Yelena a little tighter, she understood, she had seen and felt how much Natasha cared for Y/N. She had known it had taken everything for Natasha not to go straight to the Raft after she had been told that was where Y/N had been put after the safehouse disaster. Her friend had been through so much and now Nat was going to be faced with losing Y/N, it wasn't fair. 

"You don't have to be the one to tell Nat, I can do it" Wanda offered gently as Yelena's hands rested on top of hers. 

"Thank you but if anyone should tell her then it should be me" Yelena replied as she turned slowly so she was facing Wanda now but still wrapped in her arms.