Chapter Eleven

Nat watched Y/N closely as they limped into the living area, they had refused to let her help them walk from the bedroom even though it was clear the wound on their leg was causing them a lot of pain. For a moment Nat felt guilty about it but then remembered the several stitches she had on her abdomen courtesy of the knife Y/N had stabbed her with. 

Clenching their jaw tightly, Y/N held in the groan of pain as they lowered themselves down into one of the chairs by the table. Whilst Nat had undone the wrist restraints from the sides of the bed, she hadn't been foolish enough to take them off entirely, instead connecting them so Y/N's hands were locked in front of them. 

Y/N had tested out the strength of them by pushing as hard as they could against them, but the restraints didn't budge at all. From what Y/N could tell they required a fingerprint to be unlocked, so they were going to have to come up with a creative way to get the damn things off. 

"Don't try anything stupid" Natalia warned them as if she'd been able to read their mind. 

"Whatever" Y/N rolled their eyes as they reached for one of the pizza boxes on the table. 

"You know if you actually talked to me, then I could help you. Whoever it is that has hired you, I can sort that out, get you out of the contract" Nat said as she dropped down into the chair on the other side of the table. 

Y/N took a bite of the pizza. 

"What makes you think I need help? Or that I want out?" Y/N asked their dark hazel eyes looking at Nat "I don't have a problem with what I do or the amount of money I get paid to do what I am good at." 

"Does this contract have any other names on it?" Nat asked trying to get any information they could out of Y/N. 

"No. Just you Natalia. But the client doesn't care if there is collateral damage along the way" Y/N shrugged slightly before taking another bite of the pizza. 

"Is that why you took that shot at Yelena? You were trying to cause collateral damage?" Nat couldn't hide the anger in her voice. 

Y/N sighed and dropped the pizza back in the box, clearly Natalia wasn't going to let them eat in peace. All these questions, they were tiring and boring to Y/N. 

"Mmm the little sister you also left behind. You have a habit of abandoning people don't you Natalia. Tell me though, how did she forgive you so easily for such a betrayal?" Y/N replied with a dark smirk on their lips. 

Nat hated the way that Y/N just knew all the things to say to get under her skin. Her and Yelena had worked through their differences and both of them had come to understand the hard decisions that had been involved and why they had been made. It didn't seem that Y/N was going to be as open to seeing another perspective on what had been done. 

"Leave Yelena out of this. You try and lay another finger on her or any of the others, I won't hesitate to remove your hands" Nat snapped back, a fierceness burning her eyes as they met Y/N's. 

Y/N chuckled darkly, the smirk still dancing across their lips. 

"You never really did learn how to hide your true feelings did you Natalia? Showing how much you care about people just provides your enemies with more ways to cause you earth shattering pain" Y/N said as they watched Natalia closely. 

Letting out a huff of annoyance, Nat didn't bother to reply as she picked up a piece of the pizza and took a bite, finally dropping her gaze from Y/N. What had she been thinking, bringing Y/N here, as if there was any chance of convincing them this was all wrong. Maybe Y/N really was too far gone. 

Y/N let the silence fall between them, using it to let their dark brown eyes do a sweep of the room. Marking all the different potential exit routes they might be able to use if they could find a way to get these damn restraints off. As plain as the place looked, Y/N was fairly certain there would be a number of hidden Shield or Stark technologies that were used to make this safehouse secure.