Chapter Twenty-Six

Bucky couldn't understand how the others had become so trusting of Y/N now. The assassin had tried to blow them all up, hunted Natasha down to kill her, tried to shoot Yelena, beat Nat into a bloody mess and had lied on the mission, faking their own death. Everyone seemed to have let that slide but Bucky couldn't shake the feeling that Y/N was up to something, playing some kind of game with them all. 

He looked up at the apartment building across the street from where he stood, a light finally came on in the top apartment. Bucky kept watching until he saw the outline of Y/N appear in front of the windows, it looked like they were on the phone to someone. He needed to know what Y/N was doing, so he could convince the others, especially Natasha that they should be locked back up on the Raft and forgotten about. 

Crossing the street Bucky made his way into the apartment building, slipping through the foyer door as another resident left, to busy on their phone to notice him getting inside before the door closed. He took the stairs and a few moments later he moved quietly down the corridor that led to Y/N's apartment. 

Bucky made quick work of the lock on the sliding door that would lead inside, he opened it just enough that he was able to hear Y/N talking on the phone. They were so wrapped up in the conversation that they hadn't noticed the movement at the door. Bucky pulled a small recording device out and pressed the one button as he slipped inside, pressing himself against one of the walls that was in the shadows. 

"She won't ever see it coming that is the whole point. The plan still works, we'll just have to adjust some parts of it that's all. I'm not going to lose the chance to kill her again" Y/N spoke into the phone as they paced around the apartment, "No I know it's not ideal but it's the way things are. Keep me updated on your end. They don't suspect anything and as far as I'm concerned they won't."

Rage rippled through Bucky as he listened, this had been exactly what he'd feared. Y/N was still the same fucked up psychopath he'd encountered in that boardroom at Stark Tower. They were just playing some elaborate part to make everyone else think they'd changed, that they were sorry and that they loved Natasha. 

"Look I've got a couple of days to figure this out. Do you think you can get here by tomorrow night?" Y/N stopped pacing and leant against the wall, looking out the window, their back to where Bucky was currently standing. 

Bucky clenched his jaw, glaring at the back of Y/N as he reached for the knife strapped to his thigh and pulled it out. The tip of the blade caught the light and it reflected in the glass of the window, it was the only warning Y/N had but it didn't give them enough time as Bucky rushed toward them. He slammed Y/N with all his strength into the wall, causing the bare brick to crack with the impact. 

Cursing, Y/N threw an arm up just in time to catch the edge of the knife that was aimed for their throat. It bit into the exposed flesh of their arm, a thin line of blood appearing as Bucky pulled the knife back. 

"What the hell are you doing?!" Y/N yelled at him as they managed to push Bucky back. 

"You think you've got everyone fooled don't you? Not me Y/N, I know that you are just playing some twisted game and plan to complete your 'mission' to kill Nat. You can try and deny it but I heard and recorded everything you just said" Bucky snarled at her. 

Y/N shook their head in disbelief, of course Bucky was looking to find any way to get them out of the picture. He was still holding on to the delusion that he and Nat were going to be together. Watching the way he flicked the knife in his hand, Y/N knew there was going to be no way to talk sense into him. So if it was a fight that he wanted then he could have it. 

"Fine let's have it your way then Bucky" Y/N smirked darkly as they stepped forward, flexing their muscles, prepared to make him regret being such a damn arsehole.