Chapter 1: The Betrayal

It had been a dull day. I was sitting near the big window of my bookshop and cafe and looking at the view. The sun had just set and the little hues of the setting sun were visible on the sky. People were walking on the busy sidewalk of the road while i sat there moping trying to mend by broken heart.
My almost perfect life had taken a rueful and tormenting turn, my loving and jolly bestfriend who meant the world to me decided to give me taste of what this world truly is, any way she was someone who i would do anything for. We had been friends for more than six years and i had a complete blind trust on her.
Evie was one of those people who had this really amazing quality of being extraordinarily social. I on the other hand was the complete opposite infact i was an introverted shy girl. It wasn't like i was completely quiet; no, I was confident, bold even but not with everyone. I was loud and used to show my true self in front of very few selected people. Evie was from no angle shy she was the most extroverted person i know and her looks made it all better she was slim with a flat belly and the perfect hieght of 5'4, her spectacles gave her a cute but sophisticated look which would give her the sexy librarian look. Her straight dirty blonde hair would make the models in pantene or any other hair product ad beg and plead for that look.
If you would've asked me a month before i would have said that she was the most perfect person and now my views had taken a sudden twisted turn. The only thing that came to my mind was that she was a horrible witch. I guess my other best friend Holder was right when he said that i am too nice for my own good and trust too easily, his golden advices echo in my mind like a halo of sounds. A decieving tear escapes my eye and instantly brush it away, just as Holder enters the room, his dark brown eyes are filled with concern as he stands there looking at me. I try to smile but miserably fail and quickly turn away from him so he can not see my face. Holder stands there for a while and then i sense him sitting beside me on the chair next to mine.
"Hey... I know it would be extremely foolish of me to say this but come on let it go... Ailey i know it hurts... But you have to be strong... You have to let her see that you are not weak... Ok ? Please stop crying".
After these consoling words my heart and my tears can't take it anymore and i break and sob pouring all the pain of the betrayal out.

Two hours earlier...

It was the best day of my life, i had just finished up with my final project that had been assigned to me while i was interning at my favorite firm in the human resource department. Evie had decided to apply for the same internship as i and luckily we were assigned for the same task.
I was so excited for today, my trainee was a really sweet guy, in fact Callum was turning out to be a great friend, he would sometimes act a bit more like a possessive boyfriend even when he was not but i would ignore it and shrug the awkwardness away.
Anyhow, the day had started on a good note, i had tried my level best worked my ass off as i had to do the work that was assigned to Evie as well. Evie had been turning quite distant since few days and i was wondering why, i mean i know she had this weird belief that i have to listen to whatever she said and since she was my bestfriend and all so i let it skip by. Although Holder, always said i was a bit too nice to everyone around me.
As i walked into the building and to my cabin i found Evie in my room flicking pages of a file.
"Eves ?!" I called out. Evie shrieked in panic and turned around immediately giving me one of her poker face glare; "yeah Ailes...wh-what are you do- doing here ?" "Umm... Last time i checked this was my cabin... Any way what happened?" I joked then asked concerned by the expression of nervousness on her face.
"Oh... Nothing its just that... I think i should begin with the presentation today i mean, you always do it... For a change please".
Ignoring her nervous state and indirect taunting remarks i replied with a nod signalling ok.
I had no idea that i had just in other words signed the death of job and my life to my supposed best friend.

As the meeting started Callum came and sat beside me, his dopey smiles were starting to annoy me and Evie's long pauses as she was unprepared and mostly i had done most pf the work was starting to annoy everyone.
My eyes got droopy and i muffled a yawn, that is when i felt someones hand on my back, turning towards Callum with best glare i could come up with i pick my foot up and slam my three inch heel stilltoes on his foot making sure i stab him horribly. His face contorts in pain and he immediately withdraws his hand, giving him a smirking smile i turn back to Evie who is surprisingly starting with the part that was given to me as per the part of the entire project.
I give her a confused look, and try to question her, ignoring me she carries on and finally ends the entire presentation.
I am fuming with anger but i dont utter a word, maybe she has pulled something for me... Suddenly Callum is asked about the few financial entries by Mr. Durham, the owner of the company i work in, he is quite a jolly boss and near to hitting the big sixty but still is enthusiastic and active as a horse.
My train of thoughts takes an incredous pause at hearing Callum's reply who nonchalantly said that he has given the file to me, when even the two angels on both shoulders would also be unaware of the darn file.
As if in slow motion every head turns in my direction and i am left utterly blank. Another director from the board who is quite strict looking asks me "come on girl.. We dont have the entire day... Where is it"
"I don't have it sir... I wasn't giv--given... Any such document" i stammer but i am not able to justify myself as Evie the girl i knew since college betrays me.."she is lying sir... I saw her myself taking out a file from the cabin when i came to meet her this morning.." I stand their shocked and frozen... Who would have thought my own best friend would get me fired.