Chapter 29: The Wall of Mistrust

~Adrian~

I open my eyes and shut them quickly. Two words pop in my mind. One hangover. Two. Ailey. Damn. What happened last night. I couldn't remember, but I knew things had shifted between me and Ailey.

From the trip to Scotland, then I stopped, remembering the bitterness of that day on the beach. Axcel. The minute I get my hands on that bastard. To touch my wife, kiss her. Ailey was mine, dammit! Wait, was she? She had seemed pretty comfortable with the kiss. Grabbing my watch I look at the time. It's past 7 in the morning. Holding my head in my hands, I get up, finding Rina in the next room I tell her to make me some hangover coffee.

Walking down I start looking for Ailey, little tid bits from last night, were playing flashback saga in my head. I remember stumbling into her room and begging her to stay with me which is why I felt anger, anger more at myself for being vulnerable, for letting Ailey's bewitching spell get to me.

Once I walked into the living room, there she was sleeping soundlessly, her beautiful pink lips parted a little, with cheeks still moist from tears. I knelt down and sat on the floor. Softly, I touched her cheeks, running my fingers on the one that still had a tear drop on it.
She looked so pure, so sweet, I felt astounded by her beauty.

"You know you are so beautiful, I wish we could have given each other a chance, if Elaine were here,she would have loved you. You remind me of her, her kindness. Her wittiness, you wanted to know about that man you were so happily with in Scotland, that man scarred my sister for life Ailey, he killed her!
But of course, this stupid heart of ours is blinded by things. I am blinded by it so insanely, that I have been enchanted by your soul. No matter where I go, what I do, I just want to be with you Ailey, you make my rainy days better you have the power to do that how? I still don't know. You amaze me Ailey Vittorio. And I wish I could amaze you too".

Kissing her forehead I tuck her in the blanket, just to bump in Rina, the old lady was like a mother to me, I give her a firm nod; "Don't think that will work with me, I have raised you and your sister may God bless her soul, since you two were in diapers, tell me what has gotten you so upset that you were drunk like a baby and why is she sleeping on the couch?"

"Rina, I thought I could forget all that has happened in the past but somehow the past keeps on coming back, I don't want to say more, so please don't push me to either".

"Adr-"

Before she could say more I left the room and walked back to my room to get ready. Getting ready, I remembered I had left my jacket and phone in Ailey's room, so I went there next. Sitting on the bed I looked at my missed notifications.

A light knock was heard and I knew it was Ailey. The unwanted image of Axcel and her together came in my mind and I immediately brought my phone to my ear as if I were on a call.
Ailey walked in with a cup of coffee in hand, damn she was like a rare beauty, even wearing a long white shirt with shorts she had me spellbound. But then again, she had wronged me, so I put on my Cold face the one I had mastered in all these years and give her a hard look, then pretending as if I were on call, I start speaking, I knew this was a soft topic for her but if she can go gallivanting with him then two can play at this game.

"Why yes, darling, I would love to spend sometime with you, I still have to apologize for leaving you all distressed". I said, knowing very well, what her first guess would be. She rolled her eyes, which angered me more than I thought it would, she thought all of this was a joke, as if she isn't bothered by this; well now she will be, I give her another cold glare and go to pick my jacket.

That's when I hear her say "I got you coffee". I ignore her. The nerve of her she starts fighting again.

"Adrian, are you just going to ignore me?"

I glared at her, then with long strides I was right in front of her petite figure making her flinch, I ignored it, this was the cold, ruthless,  Adrian she was about to see unlike the Adrian she ever thought she would've known.

"What do you want me to do Princess,  act as if nothing happened, look at you, getting me coffee, so effing sweet!! It's not like you let an unknown man kiss you that should be a problem, its fine. You were right, since you can go prancing around smooching people why should I hold back right?"

"That..That's not true and you know that !!!"

"THEN WHAT IS ?? TELL ME AND I WILL BELIEVE YOU? TELL ME AND I WILL TRY TO MAKE SENSE OUT OF WHATEVER CRAP THERE IS THAT CAN MAKE THIS STUPID,"  I point towards my heart with a finger, "THIS STUPID ACHE GO AWAY!! TELL ME AND I WILL BELIEVE YOU".

Unknowingly, tears rolled down her cheeks as I pulled her close grabbing her by the shoulders. Each word I deliberately threw at her face felt like lumps of rock in my throat, but she asked for it, I was beyond furious now, confused frustrated and furious.

"I can't tell you Adrian?"

"Why the hell not?"  I yelled.

"I just can't, I am sorry. I am so so sorry".

I pushed her away and turned away from her I couldn't stand her for now, or I might hurt her, hurt my beautiful rose, I was scared of my anger for the very first time.

"Just leave the coffee on the table, I am leaving for three days, don't bother calling me, oh that's right, perhaps you can invite your boyfriend over have a party for all I care".  I said with pure disgust.

"ADRIAN ! For the nth time he is not my boyfriend!!"

"Whatever Ailey! I am leaving. Tell Rina to just pour that coffee in my thermos, apparently staying here and seeing your face is angering me more than it should and you have the problem of not understanding that you should stop meddling in my business". I said trying to create some distance, if I stayed near her I would end up hurting her. When I turned my heart broke more, the look in her eyes was of utter turmoil; broken and I had put that hurt there, but so had she. She had cracked something too.

Without further ado, I grabbed the cup from her hands and walked out of the room.
Oh Ailey what have you done.