Chapter 9: The Heart to Heart

~Ailey~

The roaring sound of the thunderstorm raging outside made me squirm more. It wasn't like I hated rain. I just hated the thunderstorms.

They scared me to death and every time the the clouds thundered and the window glass shuddered I would squirm more.

It was around two a.m. and I laid awake in bed. Crying had been of no use and only made me remember the brutality of the day I lost my parents.

Suddenly, there was an immensely loud sound and I jumped up in bed. It sounded like the thunder and lightening had struck on the ground.

Before I could get out of bed and reach the door. The lights turned off. Perfect. Couldn't this situation get any better, I am in a three storey bungalow with a man who hates my existence its raining cats and dogs outside and now there is a electricity breakdown.

Grumpily I pulled the door open. The corridor was pitch black with darkness, one of my biggest fears. With each pounding sound of the thunder bolts my heart leaped in my throat and I cowered a bit more.

Finally reaching the staircase I heaved a heavy breath. And decided to go downstairs and look for a candle in kitchen.  As soon I reached the kitchen I opened one of the cabinets and drawers and started to search for a candle.  I was so busy in my search I didn't notice the arm snaking around my neck and pushed me towards the wall.

I tried to fight in the arms of my attacker. But he wouldn't budge. He had me in tight grip that's when I remembered the plate in my hand. It was better than being defenseless. Gripping the plate tightly. I moved my hand back to hit the man. Just as his grip on my neck tightened even more making me slightly suffocate, the lights turned back on and I found myself looking into the deep ocean blue eyes of my husband.

My eyes bulged out and no matter how cliche this sounds but time actually paused while he stared back at me. His face was so close to mine. His jaw was clenched but in a fine set shape. He had a five o clock shadow stubble on his face, but the most astounding features of his face that amazed my heart were his full pink lips and his piercing blue eyes that spoke volumes, it seemed as if they were speaking of not the man in front of me but of a man who was lost and confused, who had been tried too many times and had faced a lot harsh judgement. He had an aura that spoke volumes about a man with a cold heart but the more I stared back I saw not just someone who was lost but someone who had a vulnerable heart, someone who just wanted to be acknowledged.

His grip around my neck loosened and so did the plate in my hand slipping out of my hand and falling on the ground with a clacking sound bringing us both back into reality from the dreamland we both were in.

We immediately backed away from each other; me towards the wall and he towards the counter. That's when I realized he wasn't wearing shirt and my eyes immediately cascaded down. The only thought in my mind was that he was the most beautiful man I had ever seen. The more I thought the more my cheeks heated and I can guarantee that I would be blushing shitless. 

As I kept on staring down I realized the fact that he was bare feet in just his PJ's. OH brother ! couldn't this get any better. My train of thoughts came to a sudden halt when I noticed his foot bleeding from the remnants of the broken ceramic plate.

"oh my! you're bleeding !!"

I immediately kneeled down to look at his foot and he turned his attention to his injured foot.

"It's fine, I'll just wash it, forget that, what were you doing in her-"

"Would you for once in your life shut up! And no you are not just washing it, let me clean your foot, don't put much pressure on it!"