Chapter 16: Putting my foot down

They say when you go unnoticed its better to runaway from them, but how would you decide to do so when you realize that you respect them, somehow they have imprinted their existence in your life which can never be removed.

Just as I rush out from the balcony back into the hall I bump into someone, this person holds me and steadies me up with a smile. When I look up to thank the gentleman he is already looking down at me. He is a dark toned guy, with a beard. His eyes show concern but somehow he still gives me a bad aura. As I try to move away he steps back and clears his throat.

"I am so sorry ma'am I didn't see you coming".

"Oh no sir, I didn't either".

"I am Axcel by the way".

"Ailey."

This stills him for a moment, and then he beams up at me.

"Ohh. Wait... Ailey as in Ailey Vittorio ??"

Ailey Vittorio. That name itself sends a stab to my heart. Controlling my feelings within... I smile at him and hold my hand out to shake.

"Well. It was nice meeting you Axcel..."

"James. Axcel James". He says holding my hand delicately and giving it a kiss. Really, who knew there were still gentlemen existing like him. Chivalry wasn't lost afterall. 

"Now as it maybe. Ailey. Have you by any chance seen my very good frien-"

"AXCEL! What are you doing here ?"

There came the angry voice of Adrian and soon I felt his existence behind me of course Evelyn was with him.

"Hold your horses Adrian. Now its not nice to treat your guests in such a way."

"You will never be invited. Nor were you now". Adrian gritted out with his jaw clenched.

I stood there confused and before Adrian could make a scene like he always does I came in the way.

"Stop it Adrian! Just stop it... This is my aunt's memorial gala and you have done enough damage. I won't let you ruin this event. So just please stop it".

With that said, I turned towards this nice stranger and asked him to the refreshments. I was boiling with anger and I knew I would probably regret the way I had just behaved with my husband but I was past caring, too angry to even look or consider his bullshit for another second.

~Two hours later~

After bidding every guest goodbye my cheeks had started to hurt. Apparently it was hard to smile when all one could feel was anger. Once the hall was empty I  started to gather my things and help Emma clear up. While doing so, I heard Emma call out to me.

"Yes Emma?"

"Honey... Everything went great. I am certain that Susan would be very proud of you, but Ailey dear, there is something that has been bugging me".

My fake smile immediately faltered and I decided to sit closer and listen to what it was.

"Ailey, how is everything with you and Adrian, has he been fine with you"?

The question stunned me and before I could hide my fear with a smile Emma interrupted me again.

"I know Evelyn was here. And I also know about his little swap with his friend so I believe it would be wise of you to tell me".

"No Emma... You have gotten it all wrong, I am just tired right now, you should rest too, Adrian was just a little irritated because I didn't know who Axcel was".

"Ailey. Sit down. Let me tell you a little about my son".

"When my son was born, Devon was abroad. He wasn't around back then working with his father in Spain. I was the one at home with his grandmother and aunts. Now, since the moment he was born, the Vittorio's had a firm belief in arranged marriages and with time they have indeed bloomed, but Devon, he was firm when he met me and had made sure that he married me. I was rejected on the very first day and his sister treated us both Adrian and I with full distaste. There were moments when I wished to divorce Devon pack up and leave, until one day Devon did that no one had dared ever in his family. He stood up for me, for his son and he made sure no one spoke to us harshly ever again. I knew then, that with the passage of times things would work out and I should have more faith, now look at us".

When I heard every word of it, I solemnly nodded.

"You know it was your aunt who kept supporting me and would assure me that everything would be fine".

"Adrian. He has always had a rough start in life. He was bullied first by his own family, then his friends and even his own grandmother. Somehow he liked Evelyn from the beginning I don't know why but he did.
No matter, how much, people say, she might be good in being sociable but she is not the girl for him and once, Adrian realizes this he would see more clearly".

"Oh. No Emma, I don't... It's ok".

"Ailey. Honey I am so sorry for how cruel he is to you sometimes, I have been your age I know".

"Please. Emma. Its nothing like that. You don't have to be sorry I understand".

She smiles at me and we begin clearing up again. Once all is done. I hug Emma and wishing her a goodnight I walk towards my suite. Fearful of having another encounter with Mr. Don'tPlaywithFire I hurry up to the closet to get my stuff only to bump into Andrea,

"What the hell are you doing here ?"

"Gathering my things, uh, I was hoping to go have a little stroll near the sea at night", She giggled in a high pitched tone kinda voice which only meant either she had consumed too much of the tequila and was high, or Holder and her swap had finally ended, hey who knew my punch could do wonders.

"Wait... Hair straightened out to perfection, your favorite pink lip stick, cherry flavor, you are wearing your purple nightdress, which only means, OMG.... YOU BOTH PATCHED UP DIDN'T YOU".

"shh... keep it down, if everyone finds out he would go gorilla on me all over again".

This made me smile, Andrea was back, she was adorable, she was so scared of Holder's anger it came out as adorable, although Holder had an anger problem but he was too idiotic to me to be even phased with.

Finally, helping her sneak out I walked in to my room only to bump into some one again, hoping it to be Andrea I turned to ask her what went wrong, only to find my self face to face with the person I was least interested in seeing Adrian.

Okay guys am back. So sorry for being away so long. Here is the chapter update will be updating soon hopefully. I am out of ideas I need your ideas in comments and inbox me as well. Love you all.
Regards
Arooba Amber

P.S. Devon is actually Mr. Vittorio and the picture is of Andrea's nightdress.